I feel bad for "replacing" my beloved betta

Jenwasheswishes
The other day my veiltail blue betta, Kao, died in my hospital little tank.
He seemed fine a few days earlier, then he started swelling up a bit, then he got dropsy. As soon as I saw him bloated, I fasted him and only fed him a tiny bit of deshelled pea, then I started treating him with antibiotics. He got worse and started pineconing, I moved him to a small plastic tank, dosed with his medication. I knew he didn't have long left and purchased clove powder (everyone was out of clove oil), but I also bought Epsom salt because I was hopeful. He seemed a bit better and I bathed him in Epsom salt. He died one day later...
This was only a few days ago and he's been replaced by a plakat of unknown gender.
I'll admit it was a bit of an impulsive decision but I really miss my Kao, my passive scaly boy.

This is my new fishie, and I think I see an egg spot.. So it's a girl? I'm gonna need someone's help figuring that out.
IMG-20210601-WA0031.jpeg
They're very hyper and pretty.

Advertisement
AverageAquarist22
Don’t feel bad! Yes, it’s probably good to mourn, but it’s definitely not good to let your sadness get the best of you and affect your decisions/ daily life. Sometimes it’s good to get another fish/ critter to help fill the hole in your heart (as long as you have the proper supplies to take care of it, that is.) One time my aunt bought a dog just a few days after losing her previous dog, and both her and the new dog were happier! When I lost my betta Alpine I cleaned his tank out a few days afterwards to house my other betta Pisces because I felt so sad seeing my little 10 gallon empty. Congratulations on your new fish, s/he is beautiful! I’m very sorry for your loss of Kao, but I’m sure you gave him a very good life. :)

Advertisement
Rose of Sharon
There's absolutely nothing wrong with replacing your betta that passed.

I have done the same.

Beautiful little fish! And I can't see clearly, but that does look like an egg spot. Is that a combtail?

BPSabelhaus
You’re not replacing, you’re welcoming a new friend into your tank.

Fisch
Life goes on, there is no wrong in replacing a pet. You learned in your experience and will give the new Betta a great home (she could have ended up in a 1/2 gl vase!!)

Jenwasheswishes
Don’t feel bad! Yes, it’s probably good to mourn, but it’s definitely not good to let your sadness get the best of you and affect your decisions/ daily life. Sometimes it’s good to get another fish/ critter to help fill the hole in your heart (as long as you have the proper supplies to take care of it, that is.) One time my aunt bought a dog just a few days after losing her previous dog, and both her and the new dog were happier! When I lost my betta Alpine I cleaned his tank out a few days afterwards to house my other betta Pisces because I felt so sad seeing my little 10 gallon empty. Congratulations on your new fish, s/he is beautiful! I’m very sorry for your loss of Kao, but I’m sure you gave him a very good life. :)

Thank you so much for the kind words ♥️ I'm really bad at controlling my emotions in general (going through therapy for that), I felt so empty that it almost didn't hit me that my fish had passed when I saw him. I'm still processing it and randomly getting sad reminders that he's gone :( I hope I can prevent what happened to Kao this time.
I hope you and your aquatic friend/s have a great day/night!
There's absolutely nothing wrong with replacing your betta that passed.

I have done the same.

Beautiful little fish! And I can't see clearly, but that does look like an egg spot. Is that a combtail?

I think s/he's a plakat but I might be wrong (that's what the LFS employee said)!
Sorry about the dying plants, I have no idea how to take care of them :/
That white little ball really seems like an egg spot but I'm still a novice to fish keeping

Attachments

• IMG-20210602-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20210602-WA0005.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 33

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
  • Question