I Dropped My Fish On The Floor!

zeebo
I just dropped my fish on the floor. It happened while I was transferring her from tank to tank. There was a loud 'thud' when she landed on the floor. I quickly picked her up and put her inside the tank. I also aerated the water vigorously.

Will she die? I feel so stupid.

purple_phoenix
My fish quite often jump out of their tanks themselves. I think they might actually have come to enjoy it... I just keep an eye on them afterwards, but have never found any infection, and apart from dying because I didn't notice in time (), none of my 'jumpers' have ever been affected by their little escapades.

You definitely did the right thing. If I dropped one, I'd probably stand there staring and screaming for a minute or two first. I wouldn't worry about them too much, unless you can see anything wrong with them - just keep a close eye on them. Oh - what sort of fish was it, by the way? I'm guessing it was fairly large if they managed to make a thud...

Peterpiper
If this ever happens again, dip your hand in the tank water before you pick up the fish, this will help stop / reduce the damage to the slime coating on the fish when you pick it up.

Narcicius
that's a cool trick peterp. I will definitely keep that in mind if any of mine take to the sky. lol

sirdarksol
I have a koi that survived two four foot drops to PetSmart's floor. He's been with me for over a year, and seems to have suffered no ill effects.

COBettaCouple
The Platy we just lost to old age got dropped on the floor at the pet store when we got her. She never had any problems and wasn't even ever sick and happily lived to old age.

If you have anything that enhanced slime coating though, it would help to add that to the water for a few days at least.

Angela_96
I have dropped guppy fry on the floor and they have grown to be healthy fancy tailed guppy.. they were so small I couldn't keep them on the net..

susitna-flower
One thing you might do is to use some stress coat, prime, or fish protector once the fish is back in the tank, just in case the slime coat was damaged, or there was any bruising. Hope your fish is ok.

Barbrella
Don't feel stupid! I think we've all had a fish land on the floor at one time or another. Accidents happen!

I hope your fish hasn't suffered any damage!

Morph
my first fish was a trI colored shark that the pet store guy dropped on the floor as he was putting him in the bag, my fish didn't last 2 days.

zeebo
HI All,

Thank you for all your posts! I really appreciate it.

Oh Morph, sorry to hear abt yr 1st fish.

My heart sank when she fell from 150cm high. She looked lifeless on the floor.

purple_phoenix, She's a Molly - approx. 8cm long.

Luckily my hand was already soaked with aquarium water when I picked her up (Thanks Peterpiper for the tip). I would not have thought of doing it otherwise.

When I put her back in the tank, she was sorta unconscious and had her belly up.
She wasn't swimming but just sinking. I was close to tears and quickly posted on Fishlore for advise.

After which, I immediately, put her in an isolation tank with salt & methylene blue. I aerated the water vigorously. She soon rouse and was bobbing up & down for air. Within seconds, she turned her belly down and started swimming normally.

I left her in the isolation tank for a few more hours and watched her closely.

Later in the night, I transferred her into the main tank but kept her in the big breeding net in case she feels unwell and had to be fished out. She didn't eat normally though. I also noticed she has a RED SPOT on her gill.

Today, I gave her another salt bath and continue to monitor her closely. She is swimming but not eating.

Thank You.

COBettaCouple
They can be pretty tough.. our platy Minnie was just a young platy when she was dropped from higher than that onto a concrete store floor. I hope your molly fully recovers soon.

STEVIEG
use some stress coat great product should get her back to normal for you

zeebo
Thanks COBettaCouple & STEVIEG

Hi,

Update: My fish is ok. She is alive & eating!

x

sirdarksol
Great news!

COBettaCouple
Great to hear.

zeebo
Thanks sirdarksol & COBettaCouple

purple_phoenix
Glad to hear she's okay

At least you know what to do if it happens again. If it hasn't already, it'll happen to most of us at some point...

Bonochick
Glad that she is doing all right!

I once dropped a betta on the floor...and then after picking him up, I immediately dropped him again!!!! I thought I'd killed him, but he was too tough to let that stop him.

zeebo
Hi,

u think she has concussion?
She is well and all but her personality has changed.
She isn't as greedy as before.
Before, she's always the first to spot food and get to food.
She still eats heartily but unlike the past.
She used to come near the glass toward us when she sees us but not now.
I think she knows I had dropped her.

Blub
Hi,

u think she has concussion?
She is well and all but her personality has changed.
She isn't as greedy as before.
Before, she's always the first to spot food and get to food.
She still eats heartily but unlike the past.
She used to come near the glass toward us when she sees us but not now.
I think she knows I had dropped her.

Our fish really are great characters, eh?;D

Angela_96
I won't say who... but someone we recently bought fish from dropped one of the fish in the bag on the floor...
The fish is happy and healthy... maybe has post traumatic stress disorder but its just fine....

zeebo
HI HatchetHaven & steveangela1,

yeah they are great characters.

steveangela1, glad to know the fish u bot and fell onto the floor is fine.

I just wish she reverts to her previous self.
I like it that she isn't afraid of me or my better half.

Angela_96
I'm sure she will in time I would say its more of the shock of what happend right now.

COBettaCouple
I'd say that she's fine, but they can tell us apart and I'd just give her time to get back to her old self.

zeebo
Thanks steveangela1 & COBettaCouple

Goldfish@alma
She is a comet goldfish, and she fell out of my hand as I was putting her into a cup for transport. She is doing fine now, but I am still worried.

Fanatic
How far did she fall?

Goldfish@alma
3 feet ish

Fanatic
She's probably going to be OK.
Just monitor her behaviors for a bit.

Goldfish@alma
Ok, thank you!

sfsamm
She should be fine. I have dropped or had fish jump much further than that and I only lost one from it and that's cause the dog grabbed it before I did.

Jayd976
I had an oscar leap out of 5 foot high tank and was fine, it happens to all at one point or another.

Goldfish@alma
Ok, thanks you guys, she should be fine!

BrittanyJasper
I recently got my first goldfish and I've been careful with him, I've also grown quite attached to him. I went to change his water today and as I was carrying his tank, The top broke and shattered on the ground. For roughly 30 seconds, I could not find him. I panicked. He's now in a temporary bowl (I have to run out and buy a new tank) but he occasionally swims a little bit but mostly he just sits at the bottom of the bowl in a corner. I am beyond terrified I have hurt him. I need advice or help. I don't want to lose this fish when I have only just obtained him.

Cheesearmada
Hi! Welcome to fishlore!

He is probably a little shocked. Any torn fins or obvious injury? Also if you want you can dose his tank with some API stress coat+ just for good measure. Any reason why you had to carry his tank?

SaltySeaLion
How big is the tank?

Quiche
Oh no! They're tough little guys, though. Most likely he's just shocked, but check for glass shards and wounds.

Cheesearmada
I concur. Goldfish are tough.

LucyC
Just curious what size the tank is? A goldfish tank should be at least 30 gallons, which would be too heavy to carry

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jdhef
Replies
Views
Goldfish1234
Replies
Views
Danny002
Replies
Views