I don’t what what’s wrong with my betta’s breathing

fishycharlie

New Member
Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
9
Location
United States, North East
Experience
1 year
not the best photo but a little red thing comes down from her gills and I’m very worried. Is because of low ammonia? she isn’t spending a lot of time at the bottom but rather the top. I recently got a new heater if that has to do with anything. I’m also trying to treat her fin rot with apI betta fix. I’m going to try and go out today for some aquarium salt. If anyone knows what’s wrong with her please tell me! I am hoping this is not a parasite but if it is please let me know!
82E4292E-DDF2-4A6C-9531-1A493AA9331F.jpeg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
fishycharlie

fishycharlie

New Member
Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
9
Location
United States, North East
Experience
1 year
yes! she is the only fish in the tank it is a 10 gallon. I’m not sure of the ammonia levels atm I need to buy a test. her water is around 78 degrees farheniet and I’ve been trying to preform frequent 10-20% water changes. unfortunately I do not have a filter because of the noise and cost but I’m hoping I can buy an air pump so I can run some bubblers. I’m a young fish owner so I need to rely on my parents for fish equipment and they don’t like spending expensive amounts on fish.
 

CoryBoi

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,572
Reaction score
2,034
Location
West Michigan
Experience
5 to 10 years
fishycharlie said:
yes! she is the only fish in the tank it is a 10 gallon. I’m not sure of the ammonia levels atm I need to buy a test. her water is around 78 degrees farheniet and I’ve been trying to preform frequent 10-20% water changes. unfortunately I do not have a filter because of the noise and cost but I’m hoping I can buy an air pump so I can run some bubblers. I’m a young fish owner so I need to rely on my parents for fish equipment and they don’t like spending expensive amounts on fish.
You can’t really cycle a tank without a filter, your ammonia and nitrite are probably very high. You should really buy a test kit.
 

Troyee219

Active Member
Member
Messages
363
Reaction score
155
Location
Virginia, USA
Experience
5 to 10 years
CoryFan said:
You can’t really cycle a tank without a filter, your ammonia and nitrite are probably very high. You should really buy a test kit.
I agree with CoryFan she may be suffering from high ammonia or nitrite, especially if her gills are red, and you have no filter, filters hold pretty much all the BB, even when you have just one betta, the little bit of BB in the gravel and on the decorations isn't enough to process all the bioload, so I agree with CoryFan, get a filter as soon as you can, and get a test kit and we can go from there. Hope this helped
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
fishycharlie

fishycharlie

New Member
Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
9
Location
United States, North East
Experience
1 year
alright, thank you! Sorry to be a bother but do either of you know a good filter that isn’t too expensive or loud? unfortunately I’m on a tight budget. Also I’m not sure about this but I heard bettas aren’t fond of eater currents. I will still try to get her a filter though.

How long before ammonia levels start to seriously hurt the fish? I will try to buy everything asap but I want to ensure her safety until my trip to the store. I only have about 4 months of proper aquarium keeping under my belt and I haven’t run into an ammonia problem yet so I’m just worried
 

CoryBoi

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,572
Reaction score
2,034
Location
West Michigan
Experience
5 to 10 years
fishycharlie said:
How long before ammonia levels start to seriously hurt the fish? I will try to buy everything asap but I want to ensure her safety until my trip to the store. I only have about 4 months of proper aquarium keeping under my belt and I haven’t run into an ammonia problem yet so I’m just worried
The filter will do nothing for ammonia until it is cycled. You need to get a test kit and do 50% daily waterchanges dependin* on your ammonia and nitrites.
 

AJSFishKeeper

Active Member
Member
Messages
89
Reaction score
45
Location
Canada
Experience
3 years
Bettas can live without a filter if you can do 100% water change every day or every other day. Which can be a hassle
 

Troyee219

Active Member
Member
Messages
363
Reaction score
155
Location
Virginia, USA
Experience
5 to 10 years
fishycharlie said:
alright, thank you! Sorry to be a bother but do either of you know a good filter that isn’t too expensive or loud? unfortunately I’m on a tight budget. Also I’m not sure about this but I heard bettas aren’t fond of eater currents. I will still try to get her a filter though.
The filter I use for my 10 gallon is TopFin Silentstream 30 gallon HOB filter, yea I know on a 10g, you can never have too much filtration, you could get a 10 gallon TopFin Silentstream HOB filter which on their website is 11.24 the 20 gallon one is 15$ but it could be more in store. another thing I like about this filter is that it has a adjustment nob where you can adjust the flow to be faster or slower so keeping it on the low setting would be good for the betta heres the link
 

Candace

Active Member
Member
Messages
433
Reaction score
299
Location
Maryland
Experience
1 year
Troyee219 said:
The filter I use for my 10 gallon is TopFin Silentstream 30 gallon HOB filter, yea I know on a 10 gallon, you can never have too much filtration, you could get a 10 gallon TopFin Silentstream HOB filter which on their website is 11.24 the 20 gallon one is 15$ but it could be more in store. another thing I like about this filter is that it has a adjustment nob where you can adjust the flow to be faster or slower so keeping it on the low setting would be good for the betta heres the link
You can get a sponge filter for up to 60 gallons for $10 on amazon (let me find the link), I agree with Troyee219 that it's better to get a filter that has a larger max than 10 gallons, a 10 gallon filter is just barely going to keep a tank under control and take care of the bioload especially if you decide to add anything like snails or shrimp. Less is not more. you will need an air pump which is also around $10, $20 for a filter isn't bad. For now try to do a large water change to bring down ammonia.

Sponge filter kit for $10.89
Airpump for $9.99

This is what I had in my 10 gallon and I just upgraded it to a 20 gallon. (Have a betta fish 10 glowlight tetras and 3 mystery snails).
 

Hmm

Active Member
Member
Messages
90
Reaction score
32
Location
USA
Experience
More than 10 years
Amazon.com : XY-2831 Air Pump Sponge Filter for Aquarium, Tank Size 10-Gallon (1-Pack) : Pet Supplies

That is good sponge filter really cheap too
 

Candace

Active Member
Member
Messages
433
Reaction score
299
Location
Maryland
Experience
1 year
Hmm said:
That is good sponge filter really cheap too
Don't forget the air pump will also need to be bought as it does not come with one.
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
130
Guests online
2,188
Total visitors
2,318

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom