I don't want babies

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi-
I would love some silver lyre-tail mollies, but I don't want the babies.  Any suggestions?  I also love guppies, hate babies.  I don't have the patience or time to deal with catching the prego mommies and then dealing with 3million fry.  My dad has tons of guppies and he just lets nature take its course.  He has a lot of cover for the babies, but if they get eaten he doesn't care.  I was wondering is there any other way???

If I do get babies, how can I go about selling them. The LFS will not take them, I asked.

emilai333

Reaction score
The easiest way to avoid having babies is to have only males or only females
(only females is better with mollies, sometimes males will get nippy with each other). If you have both already, you can make or buy a divider and keep males on one side and females on the other. The same thing is true for guppies, though it seems that there is less occurence of all-male tanks having the males pick on each other. Honestly, I haven't had any problems with either one except the first day I put Mandarin (my rm's red dalmation molly) in with Coal (the rm's black molly). Coal kept nipping Mandarin, so I bagged and floated Coal for a bit and when I let him out they were fine. My guppies have never had a problem. My newest, a tiny little guy half the size of the others, chased my biggest around for a while but I swear you could hear the big guy going, "What the...! who the heck are you? Ok well stop following me. OK then, just follow me, but I'm ignoring you."

Unfortunately I can't give you any advice on selling babies, I haven't had any yet. My two girls should be pregnant but normally I keept girls separate from guys.

OP
genie

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I have a tank full of boys, Wont they fight with each other. I thought it was important to have some ladies. And if I get only girls, they could already be preggers. I want to keep either Silver Lyre-tail mollies, or guppies with a dwarf gouramI and maybe some type of tetra, I love the white skirt. I just don't know what to do. Too bad they don't make birth-control for fish! Ha ha ;D

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No the males do just fine together. They may flare at each other once in awhile but they rarely do any damage.
Carol

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Genie said:
If I have a tank full of boys, Wont they fight with each other.  I thought it was important to have some ladies.  And if I get only girls, they could already be preggers.  I want to keep either Silver Lyre-tail mollies, or guppies with a dwarf gouramI and maybe some type of tetra, I love the white skirt.  I just don't know what to do.  Too bad they don't make birth-control for fish!  Ha ha ;D
No, they fight more if there ARE females.

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good luck! A tank full of colorful and fancy guppies will look astounding.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
All males, really? My two males aren't the best of friends. (mollies, but not lyretail. Dont' know if it makes a difference. One is sailfin and the other gold)

New Threads