I Dont Understand What Is Going On

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by MoonboundMaggie, Apr 14, 2018.

1. M

MoonboundMaggie New Member Member

I have a delta tail betta named Hank. He is in a 5.5 gallon tank with a heater and a sponge filter. He has been eating well since i got him which wasnt that long ago. The problem is that his tail has been ripping. I have changed out the decor several times thinking that that may be what is doing it but there has been no improvement. I thought that it may be fin rot but there is no discoloration in his fins around the tears.

The only thing that i can think of would be the ph which tends to run high in my tank.

Any suggestions?

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Is any decor sharp?
    Is he bitin his tail?

Is he gravel sharp?
    Ammonia?
    Nitrite?
    Nitrate?

What’s the pH?
    Are you trying to change it?

3. OP
    OP
    M

I havent seen him bite his tail so I dont know about that.
    Gravel is smooth and decor isnt sharp.
    ph is in the mid 7's. I have been trying to get it to stay closer to 7 but it keeps spiking.
    and last i checked the ammonia nitrites and nitrates were good

4. SpasmaticAA

SpasmaticAA Valued Member Member

If the ph is around 7 it should be fine. If it gets well above or below 7 then that would be a problem. It's probably him biting his fins. Just look after him and see how things go.

Also is their anything around his tank that could stress him out? This could cause him to nip at his own fins.

5. OP
    OP
    M

I dont think so, but I will try to evaluate it after i clean the tank tomorrow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice