Question I don’t think you are ever supposed to switch sponges on filter.... right??

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello Fishlore,

Common sense and knowledge of the nitrogen cycle tells me that I should only ever gently squeeze the muck out of my sponge filters, but the companies that make the filters say to replace the actual sponge. Is this right? Or is this a way for them to make more money?

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Never replace filters, they only say that to make money. Filters are made to be dirty and will get dirty. That dirt is the healthy BB. You are supposed to swish or squeeze out in a bucket of old tank water, so normally during a water change.

If you do need a new filter, or switching to a sponge filter, you can just add the new filter I'm the tank , let it sit for 3 weeks for BB from the water to transfer onto the new filter, then you can remove the old one.

Theres no reason to get new media , just a clean will be fine .

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Finatic005 said:
Hello Fishlore,

Common sense and knowledge of the nitrogen cycle tells me that I should only ever gently squeeze the muck out of my sponge filters, but the companies that make the filters say to replace the actual sponge. Is this right? Or is this a way for them to make more money?
During a water change, you should wash your sponge filter with your tank water. If you replace the sponge, that could result in a loss of BB and your cycle would fall out of control.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blueberrybetta said:
Never replace filters, they only say that to make money. Filters are made to be dirty and will get dirty. That dirt is the healthy BB. You are supposed to swish or squeeze out in a bucket of old tank water, so normally during a water change.

If you do need a new filter, or switching to a sponge filter, you can just add the new filter I'm the tank , let it sit for 3 weeks for BB from the water to transfer onto the new filter, then you can remove the old one.

there's no reason to get new media , just a clean will be fine .
Ok good, this is exactly what I thought I was just making sure. Thanks!
Black Thumb said:
Why gently? You can't crush the bacteria with your fingers?
I thought that if you wash too vigorously that you could rinse the bacteria out/wash them out. Just a precaution. Is this not possible?
Gel0city said:
During a water change, you should wash your sponge filter with your tank water. If you replace the sponge, that could result in a loss of BB and your cycle would fall out of control.
Ok good, this is exactly what I thought I was just making sure. Thanks!

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have never replaced any of my filter media (have upgraded filters by seeding them) and they get disgusting. This is expected though, as they're cleaning your tank. I usually just squeeze them out in some old tank water (you'd be surprised how much comes out, especially with sponge filters) and leave it at that. I only replace my QT/Hospital tanks filter media as I don't want any spread of diseases, etc. If you do, for some reason, need to change out your media, seed the new one for about a month, and replace (if you have multiple cartridges) one at a time, over a couple of weeks.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SeaMonkey06 said:
I have never replaced any of my filter media (have upgraded filters by seeding them) and they get disgusting. This is expected though, as they're cleaning your tank. I usually just squeeze them out in some old tank water (you'd be surprised how much comes out, especially with sponge filters) and leave it at that. I only replace my QT/Hospital tanks filter media as I don't want any spread of diseases, etc. If you do, for some reason, need to change out your media, seed the new one for about a month, and replace (if you have multiple cartridges) one at a time, over a couple of weeks.
Ok, I am planning to get a few extra sponge filters and put them in my 20 gallon to cycle

New Threads