I don’t think this SAE is an SAE...

Chalupacabra

So went out to run errands and had to stop by the LFS for supplies.

I still needed a few Cherry Barbs for a shoal, so I inevitably ended up looking at fish. I’ve been feeling bad for my lone Siamese Algae Eater as he wants to play with everyone, but they just can’t keep up, so I decided to get a 2nd one while I was there.

When I got home and went to add him to the tank, I noticed that for an SAE, looked and moved a lot like an Otocinclus

FFFDBAE2-96A3-4CAD-A98F-C8D48C881ECF.jpeg

That is an Oto, right? It’s been awhile since I’ve had one.

That said, maybe I dodged a bullet here. For those of you who keep SAEs would 2 be a bad number to keep in the same tank? It’s a 20 gallon long tank, for reference. Sources are all over the place on this.

Chalupacabra

A little bit of zoom and enhance, if that helps.

A2DFE127-5B24-4975-AF5D-67DD61828628.jpeg

Upvote 0

frogmastertimmy

They look so similar, I have never realized that but from this photo he does indeed look like an oto.
I found this image on google comparing the two if it helps!

Attachments

• 1592532021734.png
    1592532021734.png
    132.8 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0

Chalupacabra

For reference, here’s the SAE I already had.

1E5EC553-A4B2-403D-AB6D-26D42BA0DD31.jpeg

Behavior is also different. New guy latches to side, eats/chills, unlatches, relocates, repeat. The SAE just kind of darts around and chomps. He momentarily rests on things, but never really stops.

Upvote 0

frogmastertimmy

For reference, here’s the SAE I already had.

1E5EC553-A4B2-403D-AB6D-26D42BA0DD31.jpeg

Behavior is also different. New guy latches to side, eats/chills, unlatches, relocates, repeat. The SAE just kind of darts around and chomps. He momentarily rests on things, but never really stops.
yeah i totally thing the other dude is an otto

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Yes it’s an Otto. Suction cup mouth. SAE have a regular mouth.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Taking a screenshot and expanding the tiny photo definitely helped. Yes that’s an Otto.
SAEs grow to 6 inches as adults. They reach 4 inches in less than 12 months. They need to be in groups to avoid the behaviour you are starting to see I suggest. The wanting to play with other fish behaviour is a problem that only a group of 5 or more can fix. You will have to rehome the SAE as you can’t have a group for it in a 20 gallon long.

Upvote 0

AquaticQueen

That is an oto. SAE's mouths don't look like that.

Upvote 0

Chalupacabra

They look so similar, I have never realized that but from this photo he does indeed look like an oto.
I found this image on google comparing the two if it helps!
Yes it’s an Otto. Suction cup mouth. SAE have a regular mouth.
Thank you both! Will contact the shop tomorrow.

That said, may not add the 2nd SAE anyway, and will probably just keep the Oto. I love Otos; I just haven’t had them for awhile.

Upvote 0

Chalupacabra

Taking a screenshot and expanding the tiny photo definitely helped. Yes that’s an Otto.
SAEs grow to 6 inches as adults. They reach 4 inches in less than 12 months. They need to be in groups to avoid the behaviour you are starting to see I suggest. The wanting to play with other fish behaviour is a problem that only a group of 5 or more can fix. You will have to rehome the SAE as you can’t have a group for it in a 20 gallon long.
I read in multiple places that they’re fine solo, is that not the case?

Now that there are a couple more shoals in the tank, he’s started going from group to group and seems to be socializing better than he was before. He’ll school around with the cherry barbs for a bit, then play follow the leader with the panda cories, then go eat some food, etc.

Will this be problematic as he gets older? Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have a 75 gallon or larger To keep a shoal in, but that’s just not an option right now.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I can only write from personal experience with single SAE in a 32 gallon. I had one on its own it went mad . Mad like a polar bear at the zoo doing a Circuit around and around following a path of repetition . Placing the SAE in bigger tanks only helped short term. I currently have small groups of 5 and 6 in other tanks and do again put two in the 32 gallon on a temporary holiday.

You have the fish now . There is not much you can do but be prepared to move it at some time.

Upvote 0

Chalupacabra

If it’s harmful to the fish for me to keep it, I’d rather return it to the shop, even at a loss, so it can be homed appropriately.

I’m very thorough in my care, but I can’t turn a 20 gallon into a 75 gallon.

Unless there’s a Tardis brand aquarium of which I’m not aware.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

I haven't had a problem with mine. I have one in a 125 and one in a 30. They both do fine. Wanted to add the one in the 30 to the 125 but just can’t catch it.

Upvote 0

IngeniousGeos

So went out to run errands and had to stop by the LFS for supplies.

I still needed a few Cherry Barbs for a shoal, so I inevitably ended up looking at fish. I’ve been feeling bad for my lone Siamese Algae Eater as he wants to play with everyone, but they just can’t keep up, so I decided to get a 2nd one while I was there.

When I got home and went to add him to the tank, I noticed that for an SAE, looked and moved a lot like an Otocinclus

FFFDBAE2-96A3-4CAD-A98F-C8D48C881ECF.jpeg

That is an Oto, right? It’s been awhile since I’ve had one.

That said, maybe I dodged a bullet here. For those of you who keep SAEs would 2 be a bad number to keep in the same tank? It’s a 20 gallon long tank, for reference. Sources are all over the place on this.

Definitely an OTOCAT! Keeping 2 TRUE SAE together could spell trouble because the dominate one will just chase the weaker one around all the time; they get pretty aggressive. Initially mine helped with any hair algae, but that was temporary, he would rather eat fish food.

Upvote 0

GlennO

I haven't had a problem with mine. I have one in a 125 and one in a 30. They both do fine. Wanted to add the one in the 30 to the 125 but just can’t catch it.

Someone should do a poll on the hardest fish to catch. SAE would be right up there.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Corydora Pro
Replies
Views
attheworld
Replies
Views
Dechi
Replies