I don't seem to be caring for bettas correctly

1. ForFishSake Initiate Member

Hello, today after I've identified yet another betta with dropsy I asked myself a question. Can I even properly care for bettas? But, I'll give you guys a backstory and my circumstances so you guys can give the best answer possible. Okay, I keep all types of freshwater species of all shapes and sizes, plecos, loaches, the aquatic frogs, cichlids, sunfish, tetras, guppies, and many more. Some I keep are even advanced to keep. A green spotted puffer (yes he's in a brackish tank) for example. Also, parachromis. Plus others too. These fish aren't easy to keep if you didn't know, and the worse case of any sickness besides bettas was when I got calamanus worms in a community. Keeping in mind all of this, and that I do weekly water changes, feeding variety, etc I do for my bettas I wonder why they all have gotten dropsy. I take as good care of them and watch parameters as much as any other tanks I have. But for this betta, should I euthanize him? Those are my 2 questions. Cheers in advance.

2. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

So what size tank do you have?

3. ForFishSake Initiate Member

He's in a 10 gallon. All my bettas were except one of them was in a 2.5, my first betta. I forgot to add this in the comment but I've already had 2 bettas die from dropsy and this betta is my 3rd to get it, so should I euthanize him?

4. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

5. Dragones5150918 Well Known Member Member

I would try a little Epson salt to make sure it's not fluid retention. Just my opinion.

6. Skyy2112 Member Member

Bettas are one of the worst shipped fish. =[ sorry to hear this.

7. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry to hear this:(

I hope I'm not repeating any questions already asked but just to clear them out of the way I'll go ahead anyway!

How long has he been pineconing? Did he show any symptoms leading up to it, lethargy, flashing, loss of appetite? How's his appetite now?

What are the parameters in the betta tank, including temperature? What kind of decor do you have? Were any of them used before? What kind of substrate? Is it different substrate from your other tanks? What about lighting? Type? Hours on?

Any tankmates?

What room do you keep your betta in? Is it busy? Do you have any other pets?

Dropsy's a pretty serious condition as you know and unlikely to heal but it comes down to how you feel his quality of life is. If he's not doing anything and just looks miserable and you feel that there's no hope of recovery then I would say it may be best to end his suffering:-\

8. bigdreams Well Known Member Member

I had my betta in a half gallon "self cleaning" tank thing when it was gifted to my son. I did water changes every two days, should have been every day. Beta did great eventually because he was in rough shape when I first got him but with salt baths etc he recovered. Then I put him in a 10 gallon. Then I skip on weekly water changes. Then it occurs to me, is there even enough ammonia to cycle the tank with just one fish... Anyway, all that to say, daily water changes when you get a new betta is a must IMO, a small container is better and easier for that. Once ready, put him in the bigger tank but don't assume you can slack on the weekly or twice weekly water changes to ensure good health. Mine gets fin rot , I think the flow is too strong with the AquaClear filter. Lucky nothing worse than that so far.

Btw, Levamisole HCL for C. Worms works great. If you have those still around I doubt any fish will last long.

9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Why is a small container better? Move him right up to the bigger tank and then the water will be unlikely to get so bad that it will trigger rot;)

10. bigdreams Well Known Member Member

I am thinking QT tank for betta that's essentially how I used it. Healed his fin rot then put him in larger tank. It was really easy changing water in this container, it had a "bulkhead"on the side wall.

11. Skyy2112 Member Member

bigdreams do you have a prefilter sponge on your AC? It slows it down nicely.

12. Skyy2112 Member Member

And adds more bacteria.

13. bigdreams Well Known Member Member

Yes I do. I think I need to add a filter baffle so the return flow isn't so strong

14. ForFishSake Initiate Member

He started pine coning 2 days ago and that's when his appetite just dropped. I have live plants like crypts, val, lotus, echinodorus, and some pogostemon. It's in Eco complete. No symptoms leading to it at all sadly. Parameters 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, in between 0 and 10 nitrate (the color looks in between those 2. 78°. Some plants came from a local aquarium auction. Oh. Wait. The 3 bettas that got dropsy all were from the auction O.O I have 1 CFL 6500k 15w light on for 8 hours 30 minutes. He has a few snails with him. My room, just me in there normally, my cat doesn't bother with him, only the big boys. I am now going to stop buying bettas from that auction. My other fish from there do fine. Then again the fish come from different breeders.

15. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Can you turn the light off for a little while? Even one day might help him to feel less stressed. However, the fact that all of the bettas you purchased from that auction have had this happen sounds suspicious.

How long after purchase did they develop it?

16. ForFishSake Initiate Member

The last one that got it before this one developed it in like a week. Showing symptoms 3 days after purchase. The other was like 2 weeks after purchase. This guy I've had for something like 4 months.

17. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Are they all from the same breeder?

18. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Assuming they are from the same breeder, it is likely their stock is infected with something. I would try a betta from another source, to me it sounds as if your breeder doesn't know their bettas are infected, or they are choosing to be ignorant and selling them anyways. At this point, if he isn't eating, is lethargic, and obviously suffering it might be best to euthanize him. Dropsy is extremely hard to treat, as it is a later symptom of something(can't remember what).

19. ForFishSake Initiate Member

My ones from PetSmart all live 4-5 year lives so maybe it is the breeders.

20. ForFishSake Initiate Member

No, they're from a few different breeders but they only sell the males that aren't "up" to breed with other females, they said that when I called them. Perhaps that's a sign of the source of dropsy.