I Don't Know What's Wrong

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello!

This has been going on for about a month now and I don't know what could be causing it (a number of things have happened recently) but it's a little upsetting to see them like this.

My two guppies are hanging at the water surface together most of the day, or by the gravel sometimes, but either way they are mostly unresponsive and listless. Even scared and scittish at times. They still eat fine though and at no point seem to be struggling to breathe.

It's a 10g planted, they are the only two fish at the moment, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate (I grew nitrate eating bacteria)

Possible causes (?):
  • The nitrate eating bacteria (?)
  • Algae. I've always always had trouble with algae (they eat all their food within 30 seconds, light for less than 8 hours a day.. No idea what could cause it?!)
  • Loss of their tankmates
  • Gentle water flow
  • Loneliness

I don't think it's a disease as such.. If there was one way I could describe it it would be as if they were bored.

Any help is appreciated, and if you have any suggestions as to how I can help them I would love to know! Thanks

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nitrate consuming bacteria should not be affecting them. Nor should the algae or water flow if it's not too much.

If you think it's boredom/loneliness, and not a disease, why not add something to their tank to give them something to do?

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TexasDomer said:
Nitrate consuming bacteria should not be affecting them. Nor should the algae or water flow if it's not too much.

If you think it's boredom/loneliness, and not a disease, why not add something to their tank to give them something to do?
As in more fish friends or a new plant/decoration?

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thunder_o_b said:
Do you have an air stone or other aeration in this aquarium? Sounds like low O2 in the water.
Nope, no airstone and very little water flow.. but wouldn't the plants add O2?

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thunder_o_b said:
To a point. But remember the other side of plants is that they also release Co2 at night and use O2.
Mmm true. I thought they would gasp at the water's surface if they needed air though.

So let's say they are oxygen deprived, what are the different ways I can help them?

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The O2 levels might not be low enough to have them gasp. Any surface agitation would help. But it could be something else altogether.

Maybe others will be along that can be of more help.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thunder_o_b said:
The O2 levels might not be low enough to have them gasp. Any surface agitation would help. But it could be something else altogether.

Maybe others will be along that can be of more help.
Thanks!

Sorry I always have the weird and difficult questions lol. If it's any help they seem to be much more active an hour before and after their meals.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DoubleDutch said:
What nitrate consuming bacteria ?
I have these crystals high in a certain substance (I think it's carbohydrate stuff) and with a high surface area which promotes the growth of nitrate consuming bacteria. I attached a picture of the brand and what it stands for.

I have the crystals in another one of my tanks too and whilst there is 20-10ppm nitrates in their water instead of 0, the fish and snails in there have no issue!

Attachments

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DoubleDutch said:
Last word I can read is "explosive" hahaha!. Must be great stuff.
It's pretty full of itself I'm not going to lie but it works just as smoothly as it claims so I'm not complaining! As long as it's not doing weird stuff behind the scenes and has actually grown bacteria then I'm a happy camper

Do you think it could be the cause?

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds kinda like SeaChem Purigen.

Mary765 said:
It's pretty full of itself I'm not going to lie but it works just as smoothly as it claims so I'm not complaining! As long as it's not doing weird stuff behind the scenes and has actually grown bacteria then I'm a happy camper

Do you think it could be the cause?
I would doubt it.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If the bacteria "consume" nitrate could it be nitrogyn gas is the endproduct? If so could it be it is in the water and causes a lack of ogygen ?

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thunder_o_b said:
Sounds kinda like SeaChem Purigen.
Yeah a bit like that! This just happens to be the brand one of my parents-friends used and it's been reccomended to me by them and by people online.

Thunder_o_b said:
I would doubt it.
Ah, as I thought

DoubleDutch said:
If the bacteria "consume" nitrate could it be nitrogyn gas is the endproduct? If so could it be it is in the water and causes a lack of ogygen ?
Hmmmm.. that is a great point! I will try to do a little research if I find the time between revision and see what I can come up with

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Either fish friends, invert friends, or new plant/decor could work. Just try something. I know you've posted on this before, but I'm not sure if you've tried adding something to keep them exploring since then.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TexasDomer said:
Either fish friends, invert friends, or new plant/decor could work. Just try something. I know you've posted on this before, but I'm not sure if you've tried adding something to keep them exploring since then.
Since the last post I had re-arranged some of the tank but my guppies hadn't reacted.

I'm not sure if I'm right but I think their gills are moving faster than usual, so are they oxygen starved?

kbn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
there is low oxygen content in the water. plants wont suffice. just put an airstone and you'll see the change

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom