I don't know what's up wjth my betta fish

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by LittleMermaid612, Jul 28, 2015.

1. L

LittleMermaid612 New Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438094729.638241.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438094741.820123.jpg

I've had my female betta for about 3 weeks now or a month I believe, she came home and was happy she was with us, but my dad overfed her and then she got a huge belly underneat her gills. We fast her and it went down but it never goes down all the way. She's very active and eats a lot, i've been telling my dad only to feed her once a day but he won't listen. She eats about 4-6bloodworms a day. Also, i've been reading that she could be gravid but this has been going on since we bought her. Here are pictures of how she looks, please help because i am so confused as to what she has and she even flares at me or the other betta fish she sees from the distance. This might be just normal behavior but she is indeed active

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    What size is that tank/bowl?
    Do you have a heater and filter?
    I would stop feeding for a week. It'll be fine for up to 2 weeks without food, too....

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Another question is, is your tank cycled?

4. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

Try giving her a green pea. Put a frozen pea in some water in the microwave for 2 minutes roughly. Take it out and when it cools take the skin off the pea and mash the "meat" up into small pieces and feed a couple of little tiny pieces to her. It will work as a laxative

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Nice username! :)

Agree with Jswin, especially if you've already tried fasting. Imo, I'd have a long talk with your dad about how it's not healthy for her to overeat, just like it's not healthy for people to overeat. :)

6. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

Also are you feeding freeze dried bloodworms?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice