Help i dont know what to dooo

plati221

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
okay so i feel terible my last danio just died and im clue less about the nitrogyn cyle plz fish lor ppl help me i dont want to be a bad ish keeper

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi. Welcome to fishlore.
If you read the link in my signature, it'll be a great place to get started. Do you currently still have the shark and sunset gourami?

plati221

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes luckly still but im sooo confused about the cycle im a super amature and i have no clue wat so ever but im am extremely deticated to saving my fish so if any 1 would just simplify it even a little i would be greatfull

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you have fish in your tank right now I would suggest getting some stress zyme by API it helped my fish live through the cycle.(fish less would have been better but I didn't know)

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Here's the nitrogen cycle in a nutshell:
Your tank has ammonia from the waste the fish produce. The beneficial bacteria living on the surface of your gravel and filter media eats the ammonia, changing it to nitrite. Another beneficial bacteria converts that into nitrates.

Any amount of ammonia or nitrites can be lethal to fish. A small amount of nitrates are fine (5-20). Once your tank is cycled, it means you have enough benefical bacteria growing to eat all the ammonia and nitrites, making your tank a healthy place to live. Your readings should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20 nitrates.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you have fish in your tank right now I would suggest getting some stress zyme by API it helped my fish live through the cycle.(fish less would have been better but I didn't know)
With all due respect, I would not recommend Stresszyme. Most members here would not recommend it.

Since you have fish in your tank already, daily water changes with Prime water conditioner will help your fish stay safe while your tank cycles. If you want to use a product to help you cycle, I wouldn't recommend anything except Tetra Safe Start.

If you don't already have it, a good quality liquid test kit such as the API master kit is, in my opinion, necessary for new hobbyists.

Last edited:

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Why not, just curious?
Stresszyme (and almost all other bacteria boosters like Cycle, Stability, etc.) contain non-aquatic bacteria (one member here disagrees with this, but most believe this to be true). It drowns/dies in about a week, and that is why the bottle says to add it weekly. This is expensive and can mess up stuff. The bottled bacteria eats the ammonia in the tank, which is why you get good readings. However, it can starve out the natural bacteria you need to cycle your tank. With the addition of the weekly-bacteria-in-a-bottle, your tank cannot complete the natural biological cycle.

I worry about the usage of this and similar products. The success of your tank relies solely on consistent and precise dosing. If you miss a time, or don't add enough, or add too much, or overfeed so there's a bit extra ammonia, etc., your tank can crash because it never cycled.

I know the stores push these products, but they make a lot of money off of weekly-addition products. And sad to say, they also make money on replacement fish.

I would suggest not using these types of products. Cycle your tank with daily water changes with Prime water conditioner, or buy some Tetra Safe Start. TSS is the only product on the market with the correct bacteria. If you use it, make sure you buy that exact product. It's a one-time use, and for most members who used it, has helped cycle the tank (not all members have had success though).

And then there are the people who won't buy bacteria boosters because why pay for something nature gives you for free?

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I never could find TSS and Stress zyme was all any out of 6 stores I went to had, I didn't know that thanks for the info. I only used it for 4 weeks guess I must have had a cycle after that sometime hmm... been up for 5 months now no losses. Guess I won't suggest that anymore thanks for the correction.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ooooo, sorry to hear you're having issues. Most of us have had to endure what you're facing so you have our sympathy and support.

On top of the above advice, the other thing you can do, is to 'seed' media from another tank. If you have any friends with large (established) tanks, ask them if you can have/buy some of their filter media and put it in yours. This will boost your beneficial bacteria colony.

If you're able to grab some media from a friend (I personally wouldn't ask the LFS), be sure to keep it wet with some water from their tank.

If you can't fit the media (sponges/ceramic rings) in your filter, you can place it in a brand new, never seen detergent pair of panty-hose and place it near your own filter intake.

Hope that helps, and again, don't stress too much, you'll get the hang of it

@ meenu [and slightly off topic]
Meenu said:
(one member here disagrees with this, but most believe this to be true)
Were you aiming this at me?
I am one member that believes in Stability, but not Cycle.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I never could find TSS and Stress zyme was all any out of 6 stores I went to had, I didn't know that thanks for the info. I only used it for 4 weeks guess I must have had a cycle after that sometime hmm... been up for 5 months now no losses. Guess I won't suggest that anymore thanks for the correction.
You can recommend it if you would like to-it's a free community.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@ meenu [and slightly off topic]

Were you aiming this at me?
I am one member that believes in Stability, but not Cycle.
It could've easily been aimed at me also, I've been attempting to defend Stability since it does have some positive reviews and I believe that pushing TSS as some sort of uber-bacteria booster is inaccurate.

I've used Stresszyme, Cycle, TSS, and Stability, so far. I plan to try a few others like Superbac and will post results once I get going with it. I have the rare opportunity in the near future to run cycles on completely fresh tanks so the results should be interesting.

Stresszyme and Cycle either did nothing, or actually made my cycle take longer. Neither helped lower ammonia levels and it couldve easily contained plain water in the bottle and I wouldn't have known the difference.

TSS and Stability I've used just a few times each, and the results are mixed. A few cycled just fine, a few didn't cycle at all. Adding TSS and Stability to already established tank in my experience did nothing negative.(no crash) Hope this helps.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No, I was thinking of Jeta! So now I have to correct myself, and say "a few members"

Edit: by the way, I don't mean it as a bad thing when I put in my response that you guys disagree. My attempt is to make my answer as complete as possible, so that a reader knows there are other opinions.

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom