I Dont Know What To Do With My Betta Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jacqueline, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Jacqueline

Jacqueline New Member Member

Hi! I recently purchase my betta fish Indigo at walmart like a month ago. When I first got him the I bought him a one and a half gallon tank with a filter, I however didn't buy water conditioner because the lady at walmart said distilled water was the same thing( mistake number 1), I went home and after a while i noticed that his fins were starting to look scraggly, at first I thought it was the water so I did more frequent water changes and eventually, after surfing the web, I bought him a heater, a new filter, water conditioner, and aquarium salt. Its been two weeks and i change his water twice a week but i feel like im not helping, recently he hasnt ate as much as usual it like he pick at his food and he is not as energetic as he use to be he just hang behind the filter. To take this pic I had to turn off the filter and move it. 1491655509464-1056631361.jpg 1491655610331500797634.jpg 1491655509464-1056631361.jpg g 1491655610331500797634.jpg 1491655509464-1056631361.jpg 1491655509464-1056631361.jpg 1491655610331500797634.jpg

Attached Files:

2. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

Regarding your betta, I would say he is suffering from bad water quality and consequently, pretty bad fin rot. This is because your tank isn't cycled & I suggest you read up about the nitrogen cycle. You really need to know your water parameters. Are you able to buy an API master test kit? Also I would buy a bottle of prime which acts as a dechlorinator and ammonia detoxifier. Since you are doing a fish-in cycle this product is essential. Also, minimum tank for a betta is 2.5 gallons.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  3. saket

saket Valued Member Member

he absolutely has fin rot. how big is the tank? check water parameters. try feeding him 3 or 4 blood worms daily he will like them. you should cycke your tank before you put any fish. but i think a betta is strong enough for a fish in cycle. it will be much more helpful if you could post some better pictures of him. is there anyother fish in the tank?

4. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Soooo the consensus around here is the smallest tank a betta should be in is a 2.5 gallon tank. But that can be fixed very easily.

For right now, because your tank is so small, you will need to be doing daily partial water changes. This will clear the toxins out of your tank, and promote fin healing.

I would do 50% water changes daily until you can get a bigger tank. You need to be sure that you are using a water dechlorinator. I agree with Maddie and I would get Seachem Prime and Seachem Stability. Prime will dechlorinate your water and help protect your fish from the toxins that are building up in your tank.

You need to be sure that you are not getting rid of your filter insert. (Biobag or cartridge) this is where the beneficial bacteria live and grow. You need the bacteria to keep your fish and tank healthy. Do not rinse it out in tap water. If it gets dirty, rinse it gently in old tank water, then place it back into your filter. Using tap water will kill the good bacteria.

I do recommend getting the API master test kit, but you can take water samples to your pet store and have them test it too.

I would use seachem stability as your bottled bacteria to kickstart your nitrogen cycle (the cycle that produces your beneficial bacteria). Prime and Stability are made to be used together.

Also be sure you are soaking any dried blood worms in water before feeding. My betta doesn't like pellets or flakes. I do blood worms and frozen brine shrimp.

I would bet his appetite picks up once you get his water quality better.

Oh and they all hide by their filters and heaters. They need places to rest near the surface and little hideyholes to hide out in. A betta hammock and floating log are both pretty popular.

Edit: be sure his fins aren't getting torn on the decorations or being sucked into the filter intake. Both can cause more damage to his fins too.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    Jacqueline

Thank you for your advice do think that petco would have the seachem oh and i recently put the decorations in but im taking them out he doesnt even like them, i was hoping he would hide in the leaves or in the coral instead if the filter.

Thanks its just him in there and its a 1.5 tank but i will get him a bigger tank and read up on how to cycle a fish

Thank you Im so happy i found this site i just want my fish to be happy and healthy lol but ill read up on the nitrogen cyle

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  6. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

7. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Is he a crown tail? If so I don't really see fin rot but the pictures are not very clear.

The advice you've already been given is good. Bigger tank, cycled, water changes, all yes. Prime is a great product and yes they should have it at petco. Mine does.

The easiest way to cycle the tank with him in it is using tetra safe start. Fill his tank with prime treated water, add the fish and wait 24 hours. Then add the tss. You can't overdose on tss, so don't worry about it being too much. Then don't do anything for at least 10 days to two weeks except feeding lightly. At the end of the 2 weeks, do a 50% water change and you should be cycled. A test kit can confirm this for you, you should have 0 ammonia and nitrite and some reading of nitrate. Cycling with prime and stability works also but it requires daily testing, dosing, and frequent water changes. I find it takes longer and is more stressful. I have used both ways, and tss was much easier and faster.

Also I noticed the filter you have. I have had a similar one and it creates quite a current, which bettas don't like. Especially in such a small tank. It may also be why he isn't very active; the filter pushes him around and it wears him out.

Try pointing the outlet towards the walls of the tank, or try using a water bottle to block the flow. That one is adjustable but the adjustment is kinda tricky.

8. MaddieTaylah

I understand that you just want your betta to be better, however having a cycled tank & good water quality is the main thing that will help with fin rot.

9. OP
    OP
    Jacqueline

Thank you i was just looking in to to nitrogen cycle and these steps are extremely helpful, regarding timelines and such

Yeah whenever a website said bad water quailty i assumed they meant dirty water i didnt even know about the nitrogen cycle regarding fish tanks until today

He js a crowntail but his ends or very thin it looks almost stredded 1491661743365-1340419882.jpg

10. MaddieTaylah

Yeah, there are a lot of misconceptions out there about fishkeeping & everyone has been there at some point believing something that isn't true is how things are, only to realise later that it's actually not how things are.

Although it's always good to do your own research, I blame pet stores for the most part, because they rarely give the correct advice and so people don't realise what's truly involved.

Anyway, ask any questions if you are confused about the nitrogen cycle.

Hopefully we can help you get your betta back to good health and that you find that you enjoy this hobby.

For now, I would recommend doing a large water change for your betta ASAP since you are not aware of the water parameters. When changing water, try to ensure pH and temperature match the water in your tank.

11. OP
    OP
    Jacqueline

Thanks for all your help from what i read and what people posted i know its basicly to keep tje water safe from the ammonia and nitrates from after he poops and leave unwanted food to create a ecosystem of the sort. If im wrong please tell me i want to be 100% for future reference

12. MaddieTaylah

Yes that's correct. First ammonia is created and then converted into nitrites and then eventually nitrates which need to be removed by doing water changes when over a certain amount. However, with an uncycled tank the ammonia just keeps building and needs to be removed with water changes. Prime is a product that will help detoxify ammonia during cycling, however daily water changes will be required during the cycling period because it can only detoxify a certain amount. Cycling should take around a month, but probably longer with a fish in cycle.

13. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

In the second picture down, I'm assuming that it was just the light or flash and that there isn't a discolored area on his side. In the same pic, his gill doesn't really look like that does it? That is the only picture of that side of him.

14. OP
    OP
    Jacqueline

His gill doesnt look lik that the picture exaggerted but his fin does have that discoloration its recent, what does that mean i feel like a horrible fish parent right now.

15. AngelTheGypsy

I don't see advanced fin rot, it looks minor to me, considering he's a crown tail. (I've had 3, still have two, one died a few days ago). Clean water will take care of that, but its minor enough to worry about cycling your tank first. . That alone will help him heal!

16. OP
    OP
    Jacqueline

Im sorry about your fish but thank you so much i will cycle him asap

17. AngelTheGypsy

Thanks. It was a freak accident. He choked on a pellet.

18. MaddieTaylah

Keep us updated. :)

19. OP
    OP
    Jacqueline

I will I promise

20. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

It happens to all of us that buy bettas in little cups. The people here will get his fins back in proper shape.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice