I don't know what species to breed! Help

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by stillmefromtheotherworld, Dec 22, 2012.

1. stillmefromtheotherworld

stillmefromtheotherworld Well Known Member Member

Hello!
    I want to breed some fish in my 30 gallon tall (will be very well planted) and my main requirements are:
    •On a scale from mosquito fish to beta, whatever happens to be just under beta is the highest i will go on hard to breed
    •I can only use mosquito larvae and infursia (I apologize for the spelling)
    •I want a challenge yet not too much an expensive project
    •I will have a Golden Algae Eater too
    •Must not be rare or far too difficult to tell genders
    •fish with many possible colorations, not just one, are preferred
    •no egg scatterers please
    I will be moving my two danios to my beta tank. i may be mimicking a slow moving coastal stream in Central America.
    Thank you for reading, please help!

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Bettas will get expensive... fast... and I will guess live bearers are out? (They would be for me at any rate) I say you should try cories :) though I am not sure if they scater eggs or not... you could also go for a pair of angels

3. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast

You shouldn't just breed fish in your tank if you don't have a growout tank. You need a grow out tank for any fish you breed.
    Killifish are fun to breed.

4. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Cories scatter their eggs. But they put them in obvious places, like the tank glass and plant leaves. The eggs are rather large, too, so they are easy to find :;th

How about a Dwarf Cichlid? Rams, Apistos, ect?

5. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Or just forget the fish and go for snails,! Snails are where its at xD just found some baby assassin snails today from my pair! (Yes I am excited so i will announce it everywhere lol )

6. W

Wesley Gelman New Member Member

I would Breed guppies platys or mollies. Those fish are live bearers and are easy

7. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

The problem with breeding livebearers is that unless you have a really rare and high quality strain, there is almost no market for them.

8. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

I just want to try some time soon to breed any fish but I have no idea what kind. I would just like to see the process and watch the fry grow up etc.. I think it would exciting. Being I am Cichlid fan that would be the ultimate fish for me to breed. I have had them breed because I found a baby but he died. I need to get a tank and figure out which ones are mating so I can seperate them and put them in thier love shack tank. Its hard for me to tell when Cichlids are mating or fighting because both processes look the same lol... Its like they go from fighting to mating from mating to fighting so I dont know..... it is on my "to do" list though for at least one breeding.

9. OP
    OP
    stillmefromtheotherworld

stillmefromtheotherworld Well Known Member Member

Ok, thank you everyone so much. I will research corys

10. grfresconero

grfresconero Valued Member Member

Hi Aussie from Greece. In every situation you must get the conditions right .water temp. plants must be fern type very soft for fry to hide in from the adults. ince soft water with driftwood in and no chemicals at least two week`s before birth and there after. I got BLUE GURRAMI SHE + HE. when purchased where two inch at feb 2012 in OCT.. they got to 4 inch in a 60 lt. tank under the conditions above.OCT 20 they mated an unbelievable experience it was Sunday and i was home.To witness such a moment you`ll want to do it again 200 egg , now i got 100 .50 are about 1 inch the rest are smoller 1 cm to 0.5 cm. If you diside to go with the above google GURRAMI BREEDING FOR INFO can`t go wrong GOOOD LUCK.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND ALL.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice