I Don't Know What My Gouramis Are

benjisstudio

Well, to start, my grandfather was looking to re-home 2 gouramis. He had them both in a 5 gallon tank and asked me if I would like them. For the longest time, I said no. I finally gave in and decided they'd be a great addition to my family and I'd just put them in a larger aquarium. I mainly said yes because he moved the 2 gouramis into a tank with a much larger gourami, a huge angel fish, and a few Cory cats and platys. He felt the tank was overcrowded an I'll be honest, I couldn't say no because I am a a sucker when it comes to these beautiful Gouramis he has ( whenever I visited him, I would sit out in his garage and sit on the floor so I could see them and watch them for hours ) I don't have these fish yet, but I am going to soon. My natural instinct is to Google and look on Fishlore for the next week until I get them. Problem is, my grandfather completely forgot what type of Gouramis they are? Can y'all help me identify these and give me some good tips for keeping them?

Attachments

feeshi

Trichopodus trichopterus (three spot gourami) in the gold/yellow form I believe...beautiful fish really amazing darker markings on these.
Edit: actually think they could be the cosby form, I've never seen them for sale where I am before. Nice!

benjisstudio

feeshi said:
Trichopodus trichopterus (three spot gourami) in the gold/yellow form I believe...beautiful fish really amazing darker markings on these.
Edit: actually think they could be the cosby form, I've never seen them for sale where I am before. Nice!
I was thinking they may be gold ones, but when I looked online, I couldn't find any with as bold markings as these guys. I have no clue where he got them, but they are BEAUTIFUL and can't wait to bring them home. Thank you so much for helping me out!!

chromedome52

I would call it a Gold Opaline Gourami. The Opaline markings are genetically a separate trait from the gold color, but those are the nicest examples I've seen with them combined. Makes for a very striking fish. The first image is a big male, female hiding at the bottom, but she's staring at the camera in the second shot, and she looks good, too.

Opaline is also known as Cosby in some places.

Top Bottom