I Don't Know What Happened

TJG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got my Flowerhorn on 8-16-19. He did fine until last Friday (9-13-19). Then he just stopped eating. The day before he was his usual self, eating everything I put in the tank. I tested the water Saturday morning with my API test kit and had 0 am, 0 trite, 5 trate. He is the only occupant of the 75 gallon tank. I went ahead and did a water change just to be safe. He still didn't eat that day. Next day I tried some shrimp and he still didn't eat so I tried frozen bloodworms (thawed out) on Monday and Tuesday never saw him eat anything. Tested the water a few more times during that time still had 0,0, and around 5 on the nitrate. Wednesday night I tried the bug bites again and he still didn't eat. When I got home from work this morning he was dead. There are no outward signs on his body of anything other than his color had darkened a bit. Only other thing is pH is at 8.2. Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to move the filter media to another tank to keep it cycled until I figure this out. As far as the high pH goes none of my other fish seem to mind it and neither did he for the first few weeks. I am at a total loss and super disappointed that I couldn't keep this little guy alive.

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have never owned a flowerhorn, but I might be able to contribute here. The physical build of a flowerhorn can commonly alter their ability to eat because of compression of their organs. After all - they are hybrids, the parts/organs they get from each species don't always work together very well. They are not particularly long-lived for this reason. I would highly recommend taking a look at Joey's (King of DIY) video on Youtube about the death of his flowerhorn, it sounds like a similar situation.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have never owned a flowerhorn, but I might be able to contribute here. The physical build of a flowerhorn can commonly alter their ability to eat because of compression of their organs. After all - they are hybrids, the parts/organs they get from each species don't always work together very well. They are not particularly long-lived for this reason. I would highly recommend taking a look at Joey's (King of DIY) video on Youtube about the death of his flowerhorn, it sounds like a similar situation.
I must agree. Flowerhorn cichlids are a genetic mess. Sometimes they live for a long time and sometimes they don't live more than a few months. I have had my flowerhorn for almost a year now so some do fine. It sounds like its not your fault though, some of them just have bad genetics unfortunately.

TJG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the replies. Now I need to decide if I try another flowerhorn or go a different route.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom