Plakat, roundtail, delta, or other?

• Total voters

Fish0n

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Jackiesdaddy said:
I'm planning to spoil Pennywise, I think that name suits his colors well but the closest aquarium store (not walmart) is an hour drive away, Wal-Mart is about 30+ min away, and their "pet section" sucks right now I have a jar of pellets, and a jar of flakes, but am I feeding to much by feeding daily I only give a small pinch for flakes and maybe 5 pellets if I don't use flake. I have moved him into a larger tank with filter, & heater and next time I head into Gainesville I'm going to try to pick a couple nice plants and moss balls for him if you have any suggestions

By the way, this is his new permanent homeView attachment 626965
Is that a 10 gallon? That would be a big Bristlenose.

Fish0n

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Dch48 said:
He's not that bloated at all. My guy looks like that and he's fine. A lot of people underfeed Bettas.
There is scale separation on the belly. That is too bloated IMO and there is a problem. But some people find overweight dogs "cute" and "spoiled" and my opinion is that is cruel but it is just that an opinion.

Jackiesdaddy

Reaction score
Fish0n said:
Is that a 10 gallon? That would be a big Bristlenose.
Yes, it is a 10 gallon and that's the biggest he's gonna get I'm pretty sure, like I said we've had him almost 5 yrs and he wasn't much smaller than that when we got him
Fish0n said:
There is scale separation on the belly. That is too bloated IMO and there is a problem. But some people find overweight dogs "cute" and "spoiled" and my opinion is that is cruel but it is just that an opinion.
Even if he's a lil chubby, I plan on feeding him correctly so I'm sure he'll lose weight lol, but like I said, this is only the 3rd day I've had him so I didn't make him get that way **** I still think he's awesome

Fish0n

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Jackiesdaddy said:
Yes, it is a 10 gallon and that's the biggest he's gonna get I'm pretty sure, like I said we've had him almost 5 yrs and he wasn't much smaller than that when we got him

Even if he's a lil chubby, I plan on feeding him correctly so I'm sure he'll lose weight lol, but like I said, this is only the 3rd day I've had him so I didn't make him get that way **** I still think he's awesome
Bloat doesn't mean fat. It can mean that dehydrated food expanded in their stomach, they are blocked up and cannot pass their food, that they were fed too much at one time to the point their tiny stomach (the size of their eye) visibly expanded their proportions or even that they are sick (dropsy for example). Overfeeding can also commonly cause swim bladder issues in bettas as well which means they can't rise and fall in the water column and enjoy swimming and exploring...
Live foods are great I find they bring out new behaviors and better coloration. But even good foods in wrong proportions can have negative effects.

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fish0n said:
Bloat doesn't mean fat. It can mean that dehydrated food expanded in their stomach, they are blocked up and cannot pass their food, that they were fed too much at one time to the point their tiny stomach (the size of their eye) visibly expanded their proportions or even that they are sick (dropsy for example). Overfeeding can also commonly cause swim bladder issues in bettas as well which means they can't rise and fall in the water column and enjoy swimming and exploring...
Live foods are great I find they bring out new behaviors and better coloration. But even good foods in wrong proportions can have negative effects.
Agreed. *thumbs up*

Jackiesdaddy

Reaction score
Bubbles_and_Fins said:
Agreed. *thumbs up*
True that, I'll keep an eye on him, but like I said, I only feed him once a day, and right now it's either flake or pellet, flakes I just give a small pinch, and pellets I only give like 4-7

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jackiesdaddy said:
True that, I'll keep an eye on him, but like I said, I only feed him once a day, and right now it's either flake or pellet, flakes I just give a small pinch, and pellets I only give like 4-7
As for pellets, it might be better to split that amount up into half of that in the morning and half at night. 4-7 pellets unsoaked all at once is way too much. 2-3 per feeding is a better amount :)

Good luck with your new buddy!!

Jackiesdaddy

Reaction score
Bubbles_and_Fins said:
As for pellets, it might be better to split that amount up into half of that in the morning and half at night. 4-7 pellets unsoaked all at once is way too much. 2-3 per feeding is a better amount :)

Good luck with your new buddy!!
I will definitely change that, I'm really fond of this guy already lol, I wanna spoil him, but not to the point of harming him.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom