I Don't Know My Betta Type

Plakat, roundtail, delta, or other?


  • Total voters
    6

Jackiesdaddy

Member
I had a friend recently gift me a betta. He's a beautiful specimen, but idk if he is roundtail, delta, or plakat. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.
 

idk

Member
I'm not 100% sure myself but to me he looks like a dumbo roundtail
 

Dch48

Member
Dumbo Super Delta or maybe Halfmoon. Very nice. definitely not Plakat.
 

idk

Member
Dch48 said:
Dumbo Super Delta or maybe Halfmoon. Very nice. definitely not Plakat.
I can definitely see the dumbo super delta too.
I know this isn't really the answer you might've wanted but sometimes, Bettas don't really fit into a certain breed and can have characteristics of many. This is because breeders generally choose a pair of Bettas that they feel will make nice offspring and haven't necessarily matched the parents in breed. Which simply means you might've got a mixture of a few different breeds for yours. He is definitely a dumbo though because of his large pectoral fins.
Have you tried asking your friend? I'm sure he wouldn't mind if he hasn't forgotten lol
 
  • Thread Starter

Jackiesdaddy

Member
idk said:
I can definitely see the dumbo super delta too.
I know this isn't really the answer you might've wanted but sometimes, Bettas don't really fit into a certain breed and can have characteristics of many. This is because breeders generally choose a pair of Bettas that they feel will make nice offspring and haven't necessarily matched the parents in breed. Which simply means you might've got a mixture of a few different breeds for yours. He is definitely a dumbo though because of his large pectoral fins.
Have you tried asking your friend? I'm sure he wouldn't mind if he hasn't forgotten lol
Really there was no "wanted" answer because I'm so thrilled with this lil guy I wouldn't have even been mad if he'd been a veiltail I'm just new to the "fancy" side of keeping bettas. I've always had veiltails and crowntails, but I haven't had bettas in a few years. I want to get him a nice female but I haven't decided which type of female to breed him with as of yet which is why I was curious what this lil guy is. Any ideas or added expertise for females to pair him with are appreciated. I do question the dumbo verdict, all of the dumbos I've seen have humongous pectoral fins and Pennywise fins don't seem near as large to me is he just too juvenile still or idk
 

Dch48

Member
He's definitely a Dumbo. His pectorals are much larger than regular and are colored. He's probably still growing.
 
  • Thread Starter

Jackiesdaddy

Member
Like I said, I'm thrilled with him I especially love the way his color changes in the light, but now that I know he's a dumbo I hope his pectoral fins get real big and wispy like the ones I've seen online
 

Dch48

Member
He's a very nice looking fish
 

Fish0n

Member
Very pretty fish. Also very bloated. What do you feed and how much?
 

Dch48

Member
He's not that bloated at all. My guy looks like that and he's fine. A lot of people underfeed Bettas.
 
  • Thread Starter

Jackiesdaddy

Member
Fish0n said:
Very pretty fish. Also very bloated. What do you feed and how much?
Just got him 3 days ago, only feed him once a day and just a small pinch, for now. I live out in the country part of Florida so I plan to eventually feed him mosquito larvae and blood worms, but until then it's just going to be flakes or pellets I guess as for bloated I'm unsure, for what it's worth that was his temporary home and it was a concave 1 gallon tank, maybe the bloated look was from the concave
 

Dch48

Member
No he has a definite gut bulge but he looks fine. I would only feed the bloodworms or mosquito larvae once a week. My guy eats any and everything lol. Including vegetable based stuff that does him little good. I haven't fasted him in a long time. He eats once a day and that may include 3 bloodworms, 3 or 4 small pellets, or some flakes. He gets a different food every day. He's spoiled lol.
 
  • Thread Starter

Jackiesdaddy

Member
Dch48 said:
No he has a definite gut bulge but he looks fine. I would only feed the bloodworms or mosquito larvae once a week. My guy eats any and everything lol. Including vegetable based stuff that does him little good. I haven't fasted him in a long time. He eats once a day and that may include 3 bloodworms, 3 or 4 small pellets, or some flakes. He gets a different food every day. He's spoiled lol.
I'm planning to spoil Pennywise, I think that name suits his colors well but the closest aquarium store (not walmart) is an hour drive away, Wal-Mart is about 30+ min away, and their "pet section" sucks right now I have a jar of pellets, and a jar of flakes, but am I feeding to much by feeding daily I only give a small pinch for flakes and maybe 5 pellets if I don't use flake. I have moved him into a larger tank with filter, & heater and next time I head into Gainesville I'm going to try to pick a couple nice plants and moss balls for him if you have any suggestions

By the way, this is his new permanent home
 

FinalFins

Member
eek. is that a pleco?
 

Dch48

Member
The easiest plants to grow have to be Anubias. Java Fern are also easy and of course a Marimo ball. I have had very mixed results with anything but those 3 things. Anubias grow slowly but what I really like about them is that they don't lose the older leaves. I have one that I have had for a year and a half and it has grown about 15 new leaves and never lost a single one of the 7 it started with. I don't use any fertilizers or co2 either. The Nana variety is my favorite.
 
  • Thread Starter

Jackiesdaddy

Member
FinalFins said:
eek. is that a pleco?
Yeah, he's a bristlenose I believe is what they're called we've had him for about 5yrs now it was my mother's aquarium and she killed all her fish somehow, except for him. So, I cleaned the tank real good and got a better filter and pump, and picked up a heater and now it's Pennywises kingdom and he's got a pleco for a guard dog
 

Dch48

Member
Make sure you do regular maintenance because the pleco will dirty things up quickly.
 
  • Thread Starter

Jackiesdaddy

Member
Dch48 said:
The easiest plants to grow have to be Anubias. Java Fern are also easy and of course a Marimo ball. I have had very mixed results with anything but those 3 things. Anubias grow slowly but what I really like about them is that they don't lose the older leaves. I have one that I have had for a year and a half and it has grown about 15 new leaves and never lost a single one of the 7 it started with. I don't use any fertilizers or co2 either. The Nana variety is my favorite.
I also don't want to deal with adding fertilizer and co2, wanna keep it as natural as I can. Idk the plants well, I'm still a beginner lol, but I know I want a leafy plant that can grow tall out of the aquarium without cluttering penny's swim area
 
  • Thread Starter

Jackiesdaddy

Member
Dch48 said:
Make sure you do regular maintenance because the pleco will dirty things up quickly.
Really?? I didn't know that, I thought they helped clean??
 

Dch48

Member
They do but then they produce a lot of waste.
 

Fish0n

Member
Jackiesdaddy said:
I'm planning to spoil Pennywise, I think that name suits his colors well but the closest aquarium store (not walmart) is an hour drive away, Wal-Mart is about 30+ min away, and their "pet section" sucks right now I have a jar of pellets, and a jar of flakes, but am I feeding to much by feeding daily I only give a small pinch for flakes and maybe 5 pellets if I don't use flake. I have moved him into a larger tank with filter, & heater and next time I head into Gainesville I'm going to try to pick a couple nice plants and moss balls for him if you have any suggestions

By the way, this is his new permanent home
Is that a 10 gallon? That would be a big Bristlenose.
 

Fish0n

Member
Dch48 said:
He's not that bloated at all. My guy looks like that and he's fine. A lot of people underfeed Bettas.
There is scale separation on the belly. That is too bloated IMO and there is a problem. But some people find overweight dogs "cute" and "spoiled" and my opinion is that is cruel but it is just that an opinion.
 
  • Thread Starter

Jackiesdaddy

Member
Fish0n said:
Is that a 10 gallon? That would be a big Bristlenose.
Yes, it is a 10 gallon and that's the biggest he's gonna get I'm pretty sure, like I said we've had him almost 5 yrs and he wasn't much smaller than that when we got him
Fish0n said:
There is scale separation on the belly. That is too bloated IMO and there is a problem. But some people find overweight dogs "cute" and "spoiled" and my opinion is that is cruel but it is just that an opinion.
Even if he's a lil chubby, I plan on feeding him correctly so I'm sure he'll lose weight lol, but like I said, this is only the 3rd day I've had him so I didn't make him get that way **** I still think he's awesome
 

Fish0n

Member
Jackiesdaddy said:
Yes, it is a 10 gallon and that's the biggest he's gonna get I'm pretty sure, like I said we've had him almost 5 yrs and he wasn't much smaller than that when we got him

Even if he's a lil chubby, I plan on feeding him correctly so I'm sure he'll lose weight lol, but like I said, this is only the 3rd day I've had him so I didn't make him get that way **** I still think he's awesome
Bloat doesn't mean fat. It can mean that dehydrated food expanded in their stomach, they are blocked up and cannot pass their food, that they were fed too much at one time to the point their tiny stomach (the size of their eye) visibly expanded their proportions or even that they are sick (dropsy for example). Overfeeding can also commonly cause swim bladder issues in bettas as well which means they can't rise and fall in the water column and enjoy swimming and exploring...
Live foods are great I find they bring out new behaviors and better coloration. But even good foods in wrong proportions can have negative effects.
 

aquafrogg

Member
Fish0n said:
Bloat doesn't mean fat. It can mean that dehydrated food expanded in their stomach, they are blocked up and cannot pass their food, that they were fed too much at one time to the point their tiny stomach (the size of their eye) visibly expanded their proportions or even that they are sick (dropsy for example). Overfeeding can also commonly cause swim bladder issues in bettas as well which means they can't rise and fall in the water column and enjoy swimming and exploring...
Live foods are great I find they bring out new behaviors and better coloration. But even good foods in wrong proportions can have negative effects.
Agreed. *thumbs up*
 
  • Thread Starter

Jackiesdaddy

Member
Bubbles_and_Fins said:
Agreed. *thumbs up*
True that, I'll keep an eye on him, but like I said, I only feed him once a day, and right now it's either flake or pellet, flakes I just give a small pinch, and pellets I only give like 4-7
 

aquafrogg

Member
Jackiesdaddy said:
True that, I'll keep an eye on him, but like I said, I only feed him once a day, and right now it's either flake or pellet, flakes I just give a small pinch, and pellets I only give like 4-7
As for pellets, it might be better to split that amount up into half of that in the morning and half at night. 4-7 pellets unsoaked all at once is way too much. 2-3 per feeding is a better amount

Good luck with your new buddy!!
 
  • Thread Starter

Jackiesdaddy

Member
Bubbles_and_Fins said:
As for pellets, it might be better to split that amount up into half of that in the morning and half at night. 4-7 pellets unsoaked all at once is way too much. 2-3 per feeding is a better amount

Good luck with your new buddy!!
I will definitely change that, I'm really fond of this guy already lol, I wanna spoil him, but not to the point of harming him.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom