I Don't Know My Betta Type Help 

Plakat, roundtail, delta, or other?

• Total voters

Jackiesdaddy

Reaction score
I had a friend recently gift me a betta. He's a beautiful specimen, but idk if he is roundtail, delta, or plakat. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.
20191011_023800.jpg
20191011_023127.jpg

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dumbo Super Delta or maybe Halfmoon. Very nice. definitely not Plakat.

idk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dch48 said:
Dumbo Super Delta or maybe Halfmoon. Very nice. definitely not Plakat.
I can definitely see the dumbo super delta too.
I know this isn't really the answer you might've wanted but sometimes, Bettas don't really fit into a certain breed and can have characteristics of many. This is because breeders generally choose a pair of Bettas that they feel will make nice offspring and haven't necessarily matched the parents in breed. Which simply means you might've got a mixture of a few different breeds for yours. He is definitely a dumbo though because of his large pectoral fins.
Have you tried asking your friend? I'm sure he wouldn't mind if he hasn't forgotten lol

Jackiesdaddy

Reaction score
idk said:
I can definitely see the dumbo super delta too.
I know this isn't really the answer you might've wanted but sometimes, Bettas don't really fit into a certain breed and can have characteristics of many. This is because breeders generally choose a pair of Bettas that they feel will make nice offspring and haven't necessarily matched the parents in breed. Which simply means you might've got a mixture of a few different breeds for yours. He is definitely a dumbo though because of his large pectoral fins.
Have you tried asking your friend? I'm sure he wouldn't mind if he hasn't forgotten lol
Really there was no "wanted" answer because I'm so thrilled with this lil guy I wouldn't have even been mad if he'd been a veiltail I'm just new to the "fancy" side of keeping bettas. I've always had veiltails and crowntails, but i havent had bettas in a few years. I want to get him a nice female but I haven't decided which type of female to breed him with as of yet which is why I was curious what this lil guy is. Any ideas or added expertise for females to pair him with are appreciated. I do question the dumbo verdict, all of the dumbos I've seen have humongous pectoral fins and Pennywise fins don't seem near as large to me is he just too juvenile still or idk

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He's definitely a Dumbo. His pectorals are much larger than regular and are colored. He's probably still growing.

Jackiesdaddy

Reaction score
Like I said, I'm thrilled with him I especially love the way his color changes in the light, but now that I know he's a dumbo I hope his pectoral fins get real big and wispy like the ones I've seen online

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He's not that bloated at all. My guy looks like that and he's fine. A lot of people underfeed Bettas.

Jackiesdaddy

Reaction score
Fish0n said:
Very pretty fish. Also very bloated. What do you feed and how much?
Just got him 3 days ago, only feed him once a day and just a small pinch, for now. I live out in the country part of Florida so I plan to eventually feed him mosquito larvae and blood worms, but until then it's just going to be flakes or pellets I guess as for bloated I'm unsure, for what it's worth that was his temporary home and it was a concave 1 gallon tank, maybe the bloated look was from the concave

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No he has a definite gut bulge but he looks fine. I would only feed the bloodworms or mosquito larvae once a week. My guy eats any and everything lol. Including vegetable based stuff that does him little good. I haven't fasted him in a long time. He eats once a day and that may include 3 bloodworms, 3 or 4 small pellets, or some flakes. He gets a different food every day. He's spoiled lol.

Jackiesdaddy

Reaction score
Dch48 said:
No he has a definite gut bulge but he looks fine. I would only feed the bloodworms or mosquito larvae once a week. My guy eats any and everything lol. Including vegetable based stuff that does him little good. I haven't fasted him in a long time. He eats once a day and that may include 3 bloodworms, 3 or 4 small pellets, or some flakes. He gets a different food every day. He's spoiled lol.
I'm planning to spoil Pennywise, I think that name suits his colors well but the closest aquarium store (not walmart) is an hour drive away, Wal-Mart is about 30+ min away, and their "pet section" sucks right now I have a jar of pellets, and a jar of flakes, but am I feeding to much by feeding daily I only give a small pinch for flakes and maybe 5 pellets if I don't use flake. I have moved him into a larger tank with filter, & heater and next time I head into Gainesville I'm going to try to pick a couple nice plants and moss balls for him if you have any suggestions

By the way, this is his new permanent home

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The easiest plants to grow have to be Anubias. Java Fern are also easy and of course a Marimo ball. I have had very mixed results with anything but those 3 things. Anubias grow slowly but what I really like about them is that they don't lose the older leaves. I have one that I have had for a year and a half and it has grown about 15 new leaves and never lost a single one of the 7 it started with. I don't use any fertilizers or co2 either. The Nana variety is my favorite.

Jackiesdaddy

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
eek. is that a pleco?
Yeah, he's a bristlenose I believe is what they're called we've had him for about 5yrs now it was my mother's aquarium and she killed all her fish somehow, except for him. So, I cleaned the tank real good and got a better filter and pump, and picked up a heater and now it's Pennywises kingdom and he's got a pleco for a guard dog

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Make sure you do regular maintenance because the pleco will dirty things up quickly.

Jackiesdaddy

Reaction score
Dch48 said:
The easiest plants to grow have to be Anubias. Java Fern are also easy and of course a Marimo ball. I have had very mixed results with anything but those 3 things. Anubias grow slowly but what I really like about them is that they don't lose the older leaves. I have one that I have had for a year and a half and it has grown about 15 new leaves and never lost a single one of the 7 it started with. I don't use any fertilizers or co2 either. The Nana variety is my favorite.
I also don't want to deal with adding fertilizer and co2, wanna keep it as natural as I can. Idk the plants well, I'm still a beginner lol, but I know I want a leafy plant that can grow tall out of the aquarium without cluttering penny's swim area

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom