I don’t go anywhere without my pet goldfish

Edye

Member
I have 2 goldfish I adopted. They were living together for many years and owner relinquished them. I was looking for one but how could I not take both. They are both Oranda. One huge black one and one medium size red cap. I have them in a 40 gal with 2 filters for 40gal tanks, argonite sand substrate, minimal decorations to be interesting enough but safe since the larger one has a wen covering most of his eyes, and a heater. I am on this site so I don’t scene things up and they along with one snail will be with me through their old age. Open to hints to keep them entertained,
 

FishGirl115

Member
Welcome to fishlore!
 

SouthAmericanCichlids

Member
Welcome to Fishlore. (Also, what does the title mean?)
 
  • Thread Starter

Edye

Member
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Welcome to Fishlore. (Also, what does the title mean?)
I just didn’t want to say hello my name is edye so I tried to find something that might stand out. I don’t go anywhere with out my dog so I thought why not say that about my goldfish which obviously is just a pun. Bad one maybe!

Where u
FishGirl115 said:
Welcome to fishlore!
where in US do you live. I’m in CA
 

Quiche

Member
Hello, welcome to Fishlore! I've never kept goldfish, so I'll leave health/maintenance advice to a more experienced member. One thing you could do to keep them "entertained," though, is use a laser pointer to play with them. Fish will follow lasers much like cats. I also find that my fish like live plants with a bit of algae buildup- they love to graze on it throughout the day, and from what I've heard goldfish are pigs and would appreciate the snack.
 
  • Thread Starter

Edye

Member
Awesome
Quiche said:
Hello, welcome to Fishlore! I've never kept goldfish, so I'll leave health/maintenance advice to a more experienced member. One thing you could do to keep them "entertained," though, is use a laser pointer to play with them. Fish will follow lasers much like cats. I also find that my fish like live plants with a bit of algae buildup- they love to graze on it throughout the day, and from what I've heard goldfish are pigs and would appreciate the snack.
Awesome idea. I’ll try it.
 

Rockymountainstream

Member
Welcome
 
  • Thread Starter

Edye

Member
Thank you. I’d hardly call you a beginner with the tanks you have. Wow.
 

AggressiveAquatics

Member
Welcome to fishlore! I thought by the title I was about to see some guy going on a walk with his fish or something like that lol
 

AcornTheBetta

Member
Edye said:
I have 2 goldfish I adopted. They were living together for many years and owner relinquished them. I was looking for one but how could I not take both. They are both Oranda. One huge black one and one medium size red cap. I have them in a 40 gal with argonite sand substrate, minimal decorations to be interesting enough but safe since the larger one has a wen covering most of his eyes, and a heater. I am on this site so I don’t scene things up and they along with one snail will be with me through their old age. Open to hints to keep them entertained,
Welcome to fishlore!
 

FishGirl115

Member

FishBoy101

Member
The title seemed a bit fishy to me, but either way Welcome to Fishlore! We love images!
 

RayClem

Member
Welcome to Fishlore.

I congratulate you on your choice of aquarium. A 40 gallon tank is suitable for keeping two Oranda as long as you have adequate filtration and do water changes often enough to keep the water clean. Many people think
they can keep goldfish in a small tank or bowl and the fish suffer. If you had Comets rather than Oranda, you would need an even larger tank as the Comets are far more active and attain a larger size.

I know that dogs and cats love chasing a laser pointer, but "experts" say this can lead to frustration in the animals. They experience the thrill of the chase, but never get to experience the satisfaction of the capture. I have no idea whether fish brains are wired similarly, but I would not be surprised.
 

mimo91088

Member
Welcome! If you have any specific goldfish questions there's a few of us goldy keepers here always willing to help! Welcome to the joy of keeping water pigs
 
  • Thread Starter

Edye

Member
RayClem said:
Welcome to Fishlore.

I congratulate you on your choice of aquarium. A 40 gallon tank is suitable for keeping two Oranda as long as you have adequate filtration and do water changes often enough to keep the water clean. Many people think
they can keep goldfish in a small tank or bowl and the fish suffer. If you had Comets rather than Oranda, you would need an even larger tank as the Comets are far more active and attain a larger size.

I know that dogs and cats love chasing a laser pointer, but "experts" say this can lead to frustration in the animals. They experience the thrill of the chase, but never get to experience the satisfaction of the capture. I have no idea whether fish brains are wired similarly, but I would not be surprised.
Thank you for that update on the laser pointer. i should mention I actually have to filters each for 40gal just to help since I know they can be waste producers. For now I’m using hand feeding a few pellet treats to change things up daily mid day plus I work at home so they can see me all day. Hopefully that and a TV can keep them entertained till I have an aha moment.
 

AcornTheBetta

Member
Edye said:
where in US do you live. I’m in CA
Me too! NorCal or SoCal?
 
  • Thread Starter

Edye

Member

AcornTheBetta

Member
Edye said:
Boooo! Lol just kidding! I know a ton of people around here are SoCal.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom