I don't get skirt tetras

• Thread starter BlackOsprey
  • Start date

BlackOsprey

Well Known
Aside from how they're bulletproof, I don't know what's appealing about them at all. No personality (unless "kinda mean and nippy" is a personality), no color, no quirks or interesting behavior. Some varieties don't even have any color at all, and the glo-fish versions look downright garish. And whereas neon tetras can be stunning in large shoals, skirts just are not. What in the world is so great about them?

Ghelfaire

Well Known
I saw some long fin white skirt tetras that looked almost see through. They were gorgeous.
Some people like black or white fish. Not every tank needs to be full of something flashy or it help a "centerpiece" fish stand out more. I prefer black neons over the regular ones, not as flashy, hardy, get bigger and are still fun to watch.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
As we used to say, "Different strokes for different folks!!" Young Black Skirts are very snazzy looking with their shiny black markings and fins spread wide. And they school nicely when young, too.

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
I disagree. I think its the fact that they are hardy, usually cheap, and get pretty good size for a smaller tetra. I think they are nice looking fish, and they come in all kinds of varieties. As said above its really just different opinions.

jmaldo

Well Known
Each to his or her own preference.
I started my "Wet Pet" journey with Black Skirts. They were a "Good" community fish. Some sparing now and then but the boss of the tank was a 3 spot Gourami and would break it up when they got out of hand. Ended up selling them, trying something different.
Hmm.. I miss those fish, maybe I'll get s school of them again someday.

mimo91088

Well Known
I'm not a tetra guy, but these ones are some of my favorites. Top of the list if I ever do tetras lol

Top Bottom