I don't get it.

1. Dave125g Fishlore VIP Member

My female Angel fish has been attacking her mate all morning. I have her in the QT now. I don't get it they've been a breeding pair for almost 2 years now. Anyone have any idea why all over a sudden the aggression?

2. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe Weird that it took two years....but....definitely not unusual overall.

My favorite angelfish died after too much fighting with his partner. His swim bladder was damaged and he never recovered. It was heartbreaking.

Its really unfortunate when the pairs fight with each other. It is such a hopeless feeling in my opinion. I am sorry they are doing that!!

3. Dave125g Fishlore VIP Member

They have been breeding once a week for the past 2 years. Do you think that is over now? Should I rehome my female ( she is the aggressor) ?

4. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

He told her she was fat or he didn't put the toilet seat back down. Joking aside who knows they are individuals and I'm sure they have things to argue about just like rest of us. Hope he feels better soon!

5. Dave125g Fishlore VIP Member

I want another female, but it's so hard to tell as juveniles

6. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

It's hard to tell with adults too. It is never 100% until you see their breeding tubes. One of my females had a LOT of male traits.

7. Dave125g Fishlore VIP Member

Yes very true

8. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Dont you wish that scientists can figure out something where we can read the eggs and see how they are doing like if they are a female or male, healthy and hatching on time etc that would be so cool!! But I guess we have to wait for another 20 years or more for something like that to happen

Btw LOL look at my post count....sorry lol I had to say somethn I couldnt stop laughing :D

9. Dave125g Fishlore VIP Member

Lol that would help a lot

10. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Did they have fertilized eggs / fry during that time Dave ?

11. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I have read that in nature the pairs usually split up after breeding and go their own way. They may need to be kept apart for a break.

Also, if the male is no longer willing to breed the female will attack him in my experience.

Now with my own experience I only keep Angels singly - its a lot less hassle. However, an alternative may be to seperate them temporarily and see how it goes. I would remove the female in this case as you have done.

12. Dave125g Fishlore VIP Member

They did have fertilized eggs, no fry tho the tetras and Corey's had the eggs for a snack

13. Dave125g Fishlore VIP Member

It did seem that my male was no longer interested in breeding. He may be getting to old for that sort of thing

14. Dave125g Fishlore VIP Member

So I went out to the pet store and brought home this little guy to see if my male would get along with him/her (too young to sex) 1466710188869.jpg