I don't even know anymore...

1. Quill Member Member

My tank is so screwed up, I don't understand. It's a 37 gallon, completely cycled (no ammonia or nitrite ever) and so heavily planted that nitrate stays under 5 even if I miss a water change or two (not that I do that often). I also drip-acclimate the fish for at least an hour before adding them.

But all the fish I get die!!! Well, except for a few, which makes it even weirder. I have this one endler that is so small that I forgot I even had it, a platy that never comes out if the cave it hides in but manages to stay healthy, and the entire school of glowlight danios that I bought originally. These I have had since I started the tank 8 months ago, and they are quite healthy...even though I have never seen any of them eat! Literally never. I have no idea what they live off of, but all of these particular fish never go up to the surface when it's feeding time.

BUT, all the other fish it have tried to add have died. Over the course of the tank's history, I have attempted to add 3 platies, 11 guppies, 2 endlers' and 8 mollies (not all at once though obviously). The longest one has lasted is 2 months; most only last 2 weeks.

Well one thing's for sure, I'm not buying live bearing fish EVER AGAIN. The fact that I've bought 26 and only two were healthy enough to survive speaks volumes (and I assume they are just genetically weak since my water is consistently pristine). Since the glowlight danios have been going strong and not a single one has died in 8 months, maybe fish from the cyprinidae family are the way to go?

What would you in my situation? Do you think zebra danios, tiger barbs, white cloud minnows, or some other hardy cyprinid schooler is what I should try next?

Oh and I buy all my fish from a LFS renowned for it's quality, not petsmart or petco.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Do you have soft water? Livebearers need harder water & won't do well if the water is too soft for them.
    I wouldn't have tiger barbs as they can be nippy & imo they should be kept in a species only tank, find out about your water before stocking any more fish then we can help advise which may be suitable

3. Quill Member Member

I have hard (ish) water. I think my pH is around 7.8

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You must've just been very unlucky & got weak fish as they should've been ok in your water.
    What temp is your tank at? Wcmm & danios prefer cooler temperatures.

5. Sayba Well Known Member Member

I am a noob with fish, only ever properly kept zebra danios which I had to rehome as my crayfish ate one. But I have to say they are tough fish, a little aggressive in my opinion, but I hear it's only with each other, since they are the only fish I have kept I can't say if that's true, all you can do is try.

But if you are after hardy fish, they are the way to go. They do prefer cooler water but a little warmer isn't going to phase them too much.

They are funny, hyper and will love your large tank. They might even bring your other fish out more.

6. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Maybe try getting some fish from PetSmart. I've had good luck with the fish I have bought there.Don't discount them as being inferior just because the come from a chain store.

7. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

Hard water refers to minerals in the tank, not what the pH is. Maybe getting a GH (general hardness) test done at your LFS and see what it is and compare it too the places you are buying the fish from and fish that are compatible with your water

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Quill Member Member

I just purchased 6 zebra danios and 3 "pearl" danios. (is this a morph of zebra danio? It looks exactly like one but without stripes). Let's see how this goes. They seem pretty happy right now but things may change.

On a side note, my danio choprae (I have 6) never come out of hiding. I assume the school just isn't big enough, but my LFS doesn't sell them anymore! I tried getting the zebras since I thought they'd be similar enough to school, but it didn't help at all. Is there anything I can do to get these pretty little fish to swim around more?

9. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I agree, maybe you should try buying your fish from other stores

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. aHumanBeing Well Known Member Member

Might want to give Kordon Fish protector a trial run to bring your fish out. It's mainly for: healing, de-stressing the fish, slime coat and some other goodies plus I found out it removes heavy metals from the water. Now i'm not saying it's a cure all but the stuff really calms my tiger barbs down. I went about a week without it in my water changes and my barbs became a little skittish, I got another bottle and added it back into water changes. The Barbs are now more outgoing and swimming more. It's one of those nice tank additions that is hard to over dose and you can add it with every water change.

Reference link http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/water-conditioner/fish-protector#directions-for-use!

As for fish, I too agree that you should buy fish from other stores. I'm one of the people that had all but 1 fish die that I purchases from a small local store. But now my 9 fish that are from big box stores have been thriving for months.

11. Quill Member Member

Update: yeah the d.choprae have started schooling with the zebras and pearls (I just found out that pearl danios and a separate species). Now they all swim around in one massive school of different coloured zippy little fish. It looks awesome.

If I don't have any casualties I'll pick up a school of harlequin rasboras next week to complete the tank. Obviously cyprinids are, in fact, the way to go.