I Don’t Know If My Betta Has Fin Rot!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by patoots, Jul 27, 2019.

1. patoots

patootsNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I woke up one morning and discovered that my betta only has ONE rip in his tail. I thought to myself that it was going to heal by itself over time since it was only one rip. I do daily water changes to keep the water safe and clean. However, over some days, more of his fins and tail got shredded and some had blood at the tips. He eats fine and is very active and healthy. He does NOT bite his own tails and fins. The water parameters are normal with everything being 0 except nitrate. I bought methylene blue to do baths, but I don’t know if he has fin rot. He is a white fish so it’s hard to really tell, but here is a photo. Please help me determine if this is fin rot. PS: there are no sharp edges in the tank!!

Attached Files:

2. Daisytattoo

DaisytattooValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +75
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What size is your tank? You shouldn’t need to do daily water changes. Weekly is fine. Is he possibly getting his tail in the filter intake? I don’t see fin rot in this photo, but I could be wrong. Is there any other fish or snails in the tank?

3. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,199
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The is finrot caused by poor water quality, and finrot caused by a bacteria infection. Since you've ruled out everything else, I would tread with the methylene blue.

Best of luck

4. LagerthaM

LagerthaMValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +90
    Experience:
    4 years
    It does not look like finrot to me. My Betta who is an HMPK (I am assuming yours is too?) tail looks similar and he most defenitly does not have fin rot. Also, we need more specs about your tank and water parameters to give you our most accurate advice and help you come up with a possible diagnosis. What size tank do you have? What kind of plants do you use, live or fake? What is your exact pH, Nitrites and Nitrates levels? Do you have a filter? If so what kind? What do you treat your water with? What do you test your water with?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2019