I Diy Betta Hammock (what's Your Experience?)

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by adh/smile, Apr 20, 2017.

1. adh/smileWell Known MemberMember

Hi!

I have a 2.5 gallon tank with a male betta in it. I've read about betta hammocks and that some bettas like them and some don't use them at all. So I made one out of fake silk leaves sewn together and attached to a suction cup.

Does anyone have an experience of owning a betta hammock, either a diy one or store-bought, and what does your betta do with it? Post pictures if you can!!!

Thanks!!!!!

2. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

After observing my betta resting/sleeping in a silk plant, I went and bought the zoo med betta hammock. He hasn't used it once.

3. Ed204Well Known MemberMember

Hi there,
    Not an expert but I do know that most of our members make their own DIY Betta hammocks.

Personally, I have my betta lay on silk plants, which he enjoys doing every single day.

Perhaps @Flowingfins can lend you a hand. She's the betta expert around here.

Best of Luck!

4. adh/smileWell Known MemberMember

Haha! Thanks guys for quick replies! I have only put my hammock into the tank about 40 minutes ago and have not been able to observe what my betta does with it.

5. TiqToqValued MemberMember

My betta loves her hammock, but she doesn't stay on it long. I've not witnessed her sleep (she's an active little bugger), so I can't say if she uses it for sleeping, but she loves to hang out on and even below it. Just not for very long.

Not every betta will use the hammock, but I have heard if you habitually feed them over top it it might entice the fish to use it.

Forgot to mention it's the Zoo Med one. :)

6. SenValued MemberMember

I have two bettas, and I got the Zoo Med hammock for both of them. Recently, the suction cup for the first hammock I bought started to smell bad and become discolored, so I took it out of the tank for the time being. The betta whose tank it came from (Kylo) doesn't seem to mind much, though he was a little confused since usually I feed him over it.

That said, I did use the hammock to teach him tricks:
    20170320_145958.jpg When called, he'll swim to the hammock and wait.

20170320_150013.jpg When he's cued (I use a toothpick for the visual signal), he'll swim in a circle. Then I give him food.

The hammock was pretty great to get a routine set up, but it's not overwhelmingly necessary, I'd say. It was useful for when my fish were new and still getting used to me, but I found that they tended to nap on the heater or live plants more often than the hammock.

Kylo still does his spinny circle trick without the hammock; I just have to cue him from the same corner of the tank.

7. CaptByMoonlightNew MemberMember

My boy uses his hammock, although sometimes he likes sleeping on the live plants as well.

(10g heavily planted a002bc8ee182b979f17d0ce382d03065.jpg . The hammock is behind the pothos leaves upper left)

8. adh/smileWell Known MemberMember

Thanks guys for sharing your experiences! Lion Heart (my betta) hasn't even touched his hammock yet! He actually flared at it for the first couple minutes but then got comfortable enough to relax.

9. MamualdeNew MemberMember

I was wondering the same thing. It so kool that you taught yours to do tricks!

10. Something Smells FishyValued MemberMember

Some betta use it and some don't. My old betta use it but my new betta don't even come close to the hammock.