I Disturbed My Crab While He Was Molting

Discussion in 'Hermit Crabs' started by katrina._123, Sep 23, 2018.

1. katrina._123

katrina._123New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a question about my hermit crabs. So I have a little bit more than 6 inches of for my hermit crabs. They were both in the same cage, but one kept going in and out of all the shells in my tank, he eventually went back into his original one, this was a bummer cause he seems waayyyy to big for his current shell, I mean I got him like 2-3 years ago from a NC shop and it was horrible conditions, his shells was painted and he had eaten away at the paint because it bothered him, and in addition one of his legs had fallen off from stress, anyway the leg did grow back and eventually I got him a friend so he wasn’t lonely, anyway he’s still in the same shell since then. I was excited he was going to mold. So he dug himself up, but then my other crab kept digging around the cage and I was worried that he was going to dig up my other one so I put him in another temporary small tank. He stopped digging but idk his legs are kinda faded not the normal reddish orange color. So I thought maybe I should just move him back? So I thought my other crab had dug himself way deep but after I moved the little climbing thing in the tank he was right under it! He wasn’t falling out of his shell or anything, he was just all brown from the substrate and he like came of the shell and started moving around a little in his hole he’d made. He had been under there for about a week or two so I’m not sure if he’s finished or I disturbed him now, or if he was idk stuck under there. Now he’s out and about again walking around. I’m really worried about both my crabs what am I supposed to do?

2. BReefer97

BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,528
    Experience:
    2 years
    Just leave them be, they’re fine. The one that has faded in color is likely about to molt, the other one that’s digging around and burying himself is probably just exploring. Mine dig all day and all night, they really get a kick out of burying their water dishes. Hermit crabs know what they’re doing :) I’ve disturbed mine during a molt and actually moved him completely out of the tank (I had no choice, his tank had mold. They like to bury their food too so it’s not always easy to remove). He was fine. Just continue changing their water and food dishes as normal. Refrain from playing with them. Hermit crabs honestly aren’t good handling pets, it’s best to only have them out when you absolutely have to.

Become a Fishlore Member