I didn't think ADFs and kuhli loaches can kill bettas...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by My-Menagerie, Nov 28, 2012.

1. M

My-Menagerie New Member Member

Today I found my betta, Phil, dead in his aquarium. All of his fins were shredded to ribbons, some were missing!
    The only things in with him were my zedra nerite, ADFs and my kuhli loachs, I didn't think any of them could/would do that.

My next suspect it the filter. Phil got stuck on the intake before, but always managed to wiggle free.

He was only dead less than max 10 hours, could the fins have been from the loaches or frogs eating him, and Not the cause of his death?

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Often times, fish will start snacking after it's died. I would suspect the frogs or the filter more than the kuhlis. My guess is that the fish died, then in circulating around the tank the fins got torn.

3. C

CharlieSheen Valued Member Member

I'm guessing you may have made the fatal mistake of buying and African Clawed Frog, which can grow larger and kill other fish. Then again, I haven't seen your frogs.

4. OP
    OP
    M

My-Menagerie New Member Member

I've owned clawed frogs before, and these are ADFs.

5. C

CharlieSheen Valued Member Member

Alright. Then I'm guessing it's most likely your filter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice