Funny I didn't realize it would get that big!

sairving
After impulse buying a tiger lotus for my 5.5 gallon and a post I made asking about which way to plant aponogeton bulbs once they start sprouting, I figured it could be fun (and informative) to post about plants and fish we bought that got a little bigger than expected.

I impulse bought a tiny red tiger lotus from the fish store. Needless to say I didn't ask how big it would get until it started doubling in size every 24 hours. Lol. A few more days and it would have been the size of my cat. That was traded in at my lfs and then I bought some "betta bulbs" from Petco. We'll see how this adventure goes.

I haven't done it with fish. I know better than that.

I also found the package from the bulbs. Look at the minimum tank size they recommend.

Valleriani
sairving said:
After impulse buying a tiger lotus for my 5.5 gallon and a post I made asking about which way to plant aponogeton bulbs once they start sprouting, I figured it could be fun (and informative) to post about plants and fish we bought that got a little bigger than expected.

I impulse bought a tiny red tiger lotus from the fish store. Needless to say I didn't ask how big it would get until it started doubling in size every 24 hours. Lol. A few more days and it would have been the size of my cat. That was traded in at my lfs and then I bought some "betta bulbs" from Petco. We'll see how this adventure goes.

I also found the package from the bulbs. Look at the minimum tank size they recommend.
I have a couple of these, wait until the middle leaf grows. It often goes to the top of the surface and acts like a lily pad. My tank is 65CM high (25+ inches) and the middle stem it grows is probably 80-90CM because it's bending. It's a crazy growing plant.

The middle lily pad/stem/etc/whatever it's called probably took a week to grow. It grew so fast that you could see it grow every hour. It was crazy.

StarGirl
sairving said:

Haha its not safe for children either.....lol

sairving
StarGirl said:
Haha its not safe for children either.....lol
Lol! I thought "who let their kid chew on a plant bulb."
Valleriani said:
I have a couple of these, wait until the middle leaf grows. It often goes to the top of the surface and acts like a lily pad. My tank is 65CM high (25+ inches) and the middle stem it grows is probably 80-90CM because it's bending. It's a crazy growing plant.

The middle lily pad/stem/etc/whatever it's called probably took a week to grow. It grew so fast that you could see it grow every hour. It was crazy.
I could tell when the stems on the lotus where getting taller because the leaves would point up.

JLAquatics
Haha, I just found this post after telling you about the Aponogeton bulb yesterday in your other post! Imagine one of these things in a 1 quart container. It would look like a crushed glass box of lettuce by the time it is done growing! It would leave no room for any living inhabitants, they would literally suffocate in the leaves (not that you should house anything living in a 1 quart container anyways... But yet again, I am not surprised, they still market Goldfish and Bettas to be able to live in tiny fish bowls...

sairving
JLAquatics said:
Haha, I just found this post after telling you about the Aponogeton bulb yesterday in your other post! Imagine one of these things in a 1 quart container. It would look like a crushed glass box of lettuce by the time it is done growing! It would leave no room for any living inhabitants, they would literally suffocate in the leaves (not that you should house anything living in a 1 quart container anyways... But yet again, I am not surprised, they still market Goldfish and Bettas to be able to live in tiny fish bowls...
Yeah, I can't imagine trying to grow any aquatic plants in a one-quart container or keep fish in them. I started with a 3-gallon planted betta tank and upgraded to a 5.5 gallon a few months ago. The plants in that tank were smaller. Now I'm like "Let's try everything! Wait, you grow how big?"

PurpleReign19
sairving said:

Just make sure your kids arent chewing on the bulbs lol

sairving
FreshwaterFins99 said:
Just make sure your kids arent chewing on the bulbs lol
The biggest hazard for me would be the dog or cat. I could see chewing on bulbs becoming some sort of weird teenage social media thing.

PurpleReign19
sairving said:
I could see chewing on bulbs becoming some sort of weird teenage social media thing.
Haha that would be very very strange

JLAquatics
sairving said:
The biggest hazard for me would be the dog or cat. I could see chewing on bulbs becoming some sort of weird teenage social media thing.
Tide Pods were the IT thing for some of the gullible teens to consume for a while on social media back in the 2010's, plant bulbs could be no different! Bonus points would go if the person could consume a rotting plant bulb!

PurpleReign19
JLAquatics said:
Tide Pods were the IT thing for some of the gullible teens to consume for a while on social media back in the 2010's, plant bulbs could be no different! Bonus points would go if the person could consume a rotting plant bulb!
Oooh i like the bonus points for rotten lol

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom