I didn't quarantine my plants

NewAtFishKeeping

I ordered plants from Aquarium Coop (Amazon Swords and Pogo Octopus). I am new to all this and I am in the middle of setting up a new freshwater tank which has been cycled. I will hopefully order fish this week.

I didn't quarantine my plants. I know Aquarium Coop has a great reputation and many people on here order from them. So for those who order from Aquarium Coop- do you usually quarantine your plants?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
The only thing that may happen if you don't quarantine them is you may get some snails for free. ;)

CTYankee79

NewAtFishKeeping said:
I ordered plants from Aquarium Coop (Amazon Swords and Pogo Octopus). I am new to all this and I am in the middle of setting up a new freshwater tank which has been cycled. I will hopefully order fish this week.

I didn't quarantine my plants. I know Aquarium Coop has a great reputation and many people on here order from them. So for those who order from Aquarium Coop- do you usually quarantine your plants?
I don’t. You might get some snails but I had no issues otherwise

OP
N

NewAtFishKeeping

StarGirl said:
The only thing that may happen if you don't quarantine them is you may get some snails for free. ;)
Hehe, ok, good to know! By the way, what is so bad about having snails in the tank?

If I were to purchase plants from Petco would you definitely recommend quarantining or does it make no difference?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
No difference. Usually the only issue is if you don't want snails. but they don't hurt anything.

OP
N

NewAtFishKeeping

StarGirl said:
No difference. Usually the only issue is if you don't want snails. but they don't hurt anything.
Someone had recommended on another thread of mine that if I purchase Petco plants I should dip them in hydrogen peroxide to kill off pathogens. But I'm a bit afraid to do that as I'm really new at this and my tank is up and running fine. I'm a little afraid I'll mess something up. So no need to worry about that?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Peroxide won't hurt them at all if you want to quick dip them. I just rinse them off really good and get all of that gel stuff off. I rub the leaves off too. Just be careful not to break them... ;)

OP
N

NewAtFishKeeping

StarGirl said:
Peroxide won't hurt them at all if you want to quick dip them. I just rinse them off really good and get all of that gel stuff off. I rub the leaves off too. Just be careful not to break them... ;)
Thanks! I'm actually thinking of purchasing the plants from the tank, not the ones in the tubes. But perhaps the ones in the tanks also have gel? Do you have any experience purchasing the ones that are submerged in water (and I know I have to be careful with some of those as some are not aquatic)?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
NewAtFishKeeping said:
Thanks! I'm actually thinking of purchasing the plants from the tank, not the ones in the tubes. But perhaps the ones in the tanks also have gel? Do you have any experience purchasing the ones that are submerged in water (and I know I have to be careful with some of those as some are not aquatic)?
No the ones from the tank shouldn't have the gel stuff. The ones at the pet stores should be all aquatic plants. The ones in the tube are grown above water but are aquarium plants. They usually melt and then turn to their aquatic state.

OP
N

NewAtFishKeeping

StarGirl said:
No the ones from the tank shouldn't have the gel stuff. The ones at the pet stores should be all aquatic plants. The ones in the tube are grown above water but are aquarium plants. They usually melt and then turn to their aquatic state.
Thanks for your help and all of the info!

OP
N

NewAtFishKeeping

GouramisAreSuperior said:
I'm fine with my free snails I needed some anyway and they do a great job of keeping my tank algae in control

ty snails :)
Hehe, cool! Maybe some will be included with my purchase :)

New Threads