I didn't listen to your advice :(

1. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I fishless cycled my 75gallon and thinking it would be a pretty sturdy cycle i went ahead and added 3 angels, 2 gold rams and a GBR.

i was told time and time again by you lovely FL member to wait 6 months before adding GBR's but i didn't listen. this was wrong. and i regret my decision.

when i was buying the angels in the tank at the LFS were 2 gold rams, 1 GBR, 6 male bettas and 7 dwarf gouramis. the DG's were picking on the beautiful long-finned GBR and both golds so i scooped them up and brought them home. sadly two weeks later the GBR has died. a slow death that i could do nothing about. and i feel terrible.

i know if i'd have left her there she would probably have been bullied to death or bought by someone who is even less ignorant than me (how i wish i had listened to you all!) but i also know she may have been bought by an experienced fishkeeper who had done the right thing.

i should have waited, but i didn't. i should have listened, but i didn't. i learned the hard way.

i apologise for not listening to your advice but even more than that, i'm sorry mrs ram. rest in peace.xx

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Awwww...hollie, don't be so hard on yourself.
    I'm so sorry. :(
    The poor gal wasn't having a good life as it was.
    At least you tried.

RIP Mrs Ram

3. claireputput Well Known Member Member

I agree with Lucy!
    You did what you thought was right and it didn't work out but there is nothing to say she would have made it somewhere else.

4. FiscCyning Member Member

I'm sorry that your fish died. We all make mistakes, especially in the beginning but even after years as fish keepers we still make some mistakes. The important thing is to learn from those mistakes. The fact that you're acknowledging what went wrong instead of rushing out to just buy a new GBR tells me that you're learning and are a good, caring fish parent.

5. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

It's just the guilt that takes over when you know their life was in your hands but thank you for your kind words :) she was so beautiful and i did know better than to pick her up. I remember telling my other half it was a bad idea!

GetAttachment (16).jpg

6. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I completely get this feeling... whenever I'm in the LFS and I see a messed up tank that's been poorly stocked I run the risk of buying up half the store.

For all you know though, the GBR could have come to you sick from all the stress in the LFS.

You wanted to help a fish! You have the right mentality for this hobby so keep it up!

7. SW5 Well Known Member Member

Sorry for your loss.
    I believe most of us, if not all have encountered a point in fishkeeping where we regret a decision that was made, or wished we had listened to someone. Unfortunately this is the way we really learn, through mistakes. While the GBR may have passed on, you learned a valuable fishkeeping lesson. We all, experienced or not, make mistakes. I know I have, I lost 5 platys within 5 days from a horrible parasite because I neglected to put a questionable fish into quarantine.

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

At least you saved her from being bullied to death, she was probably weakened when you got her so don't blame yourself

9. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Sometimes you pick the lesser of two evils.

You didn't make the wrong decision. You made the compassionate one. 9 times out of 10 fish are not bought by people who know what to do with them, least of all fish at big pet stores. You took a risk knowing leaving her there would be worse. Unfortunately, she didn't make it but I agree part of that at least was the fact that she was being terrorized and stressed in the store.

I'm sorry you lost her.

10. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

Sorry for your loss Hollie. Everyone has already put it so well and when a fishy friend is clearly in a bad situation - it would be difficult not to help.

11. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Aww, too bad you lost her :( I'm sorry.

I agree, that you did the right thing, at least trying to give her a good home whereas at the store she was clearly in a bad situation.

12. renthus Well Known Member Member

You walked into a fish store and your rationale was not "It looks pretty I want it", but "I care about this creature and I want to help it."

Welcome to the cult. You're going to fit in just fine.

Also, avoid the betta racks. They're dangerous for our kind.

13. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Too true! ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app