I didn't know the Aquaclear 20, 30, 50 and 70 had the same motor?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by matsungit, Nov 26, 2012.

1. matsungit

matsungitWell Known MemberMember

My Aquaclear 50 filter stopped working for some reason and I needed to replace the motor. I was looking for one and discovered that it's the same motor for models 20 to 70. Please see link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AquaCle...251?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7aef5863

Does anyone know if the impellers are different for the mentioned models? An AC 20 filter is cheaper at PetSmart ($18.87) than the replacement motor (Ebay $24.01). It seems to me that a smart move would be to buy the AC 20 filter instead of the motor. Or am I misinformed?

2. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

The way I understand it is all of the motors are the same up to the 70, the difference in flows is generated by different size impellars in each model. You could do what your proposing, though you would end up with a flow rate closer to that of the model impellar you used.

3. OP
    OP
    matsungit

matsungitWell Known MemberMember

Oh that's great! It's a good thing I kept the old impeller. It seems a pity to throw it away with the motor since it's still in good condition. I was just worrying that the AC 50 impeller wouldn't fit the AC 20 motor. Thanks for the help!

4. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

It always nice to have spare parts! :;th No problem, glad I could help.

5. Orion5

Orion5Well Known MemberMember

Indeed. The impellers are what's different in those models. I love aquaclear filters! :)

6. JRC3

JRC3Well Known MemberMember

The KISS Principle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice