I did the unthinkable Help

1. NaomiR Initiate Member

I know, shoot me now; I bought 2 dwarf puffers "on impulse" but I adore them and HAD to have them, sorry!

I'm an experienced fish keeper but now only keep dwarf shrimp NOT in with my new puffers obviously lol

Anyway couple of questions; they seem hungry ALL the time like no other fish I've ever seen - how much should they eat in a day?

Today they've had a live tube of brine shrimp (which was a bit sad because I found the shrimp quite beautiful) but I have a lot of ramshorn snails in another tank so was going to pop a few in over the next few days, so how much and how often?

Also when you do water changes would you dose with salt to treat the whole aquarium or just the percentage of water changed?

Thanks, I'll try to post pictures of my dwarf puffers soon

2. Stray Member Member

As far as the salt goes, only dose the new water. If you have a way to measure the salt in the tank it would be a good idea to treat the new water before adding it and trying to match it as close to the salinity of the tank as you can. That being said, dwarf puffers are a freshwater fish, so you shouldn't be dosing their water with salt unless you're using it as a treatment for something.

Not sure about your questions concerning food, but they should probably eat the same amount daily as any other fish relative to their size. With the snails I think you could just pop in as many as you want and the'll eat them as desired until they catch all of them. I know a few people here have experience with these fish, one of them will be able to give you a more definitive answer.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

4. NaomiR Initiate Member

I was told their water needs to be brackish which is why I'm adding salt as for food they will eat as much as I give them so I was wondering how much 2 dwarf puffers should be eating in a day

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. n25philly Member Member

Dwarf puffers are not brackish at all and salt should not be put in their tank. They are 100% freshwater

6. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, they really don't need that salt in the tank. Someone gave you bad advice.

7. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Salt will actually harm the puffer more than help. Many species are brackish, but, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, dwarf puffers live in freshwater rivers.

As for feeding, it sounds like you have a lot of delicious options. I'd mix it up throughout the week and monitor their bodies. Just look for the tell tale signs of over/under feeding. :)

8. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

I guess a full grown dwarf puffer (carinotetraodon travancoricus) could be confused with a baby figure 8 puffer (tetraodon biocellatus - which is the most popular BW puffer) to someone who doesn't know puffers. But once you see what both look like it's a no-brainer.

As far as amount of food goes, these guys will beg and eat till they explode. You can always go by the stomach=eye thing, however, I find my puffer likes just a little more. They are small so need more frequent feedings than larger fishes, but this does not neccessarily mean a lot of food. You'll just have to experiment with what you got. You want their stomachs to get nice and round but not where it looks like they swalled a marble. Watch for aggression during feeding. I feed mine once a day, mainly live black worms, frozen bloodworms, and dead rcs, with occassional live brine shrimp. Mine has changed her appetite and doesn't go after snails unless they are in her face...call her lazy. I would stick with small to medium sized snails too, big ones might be too much food at once. I would invest in some feedings tongs if you haven't already. They are cheap and make a world of difference during feeding.

These guys are fun!

9. emmynk Well Known Member Member

I love these guys. Honestly mine is so picky the only thing he will go for is snails, so I try to go for 2 pond snails a day, but it depends on what I can find in my tanks.

10. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

If snails are its thing just ask for some at your LFS. You can usually get pond/bladder snails for free, or at least grab a ton on a small purchase. Plus you can just toss them in any container with water and they will most likely stay alive and probably breed before you feed them to your puffer.

11. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

I have ramshorns, i found they will eat pretty much anything you give them. Mine especially like freeze dried daphnia. The more food they have the more they breed. Ive had some in a cup on my windowsill for months, and they are growing fine. I change a good chunk of the water once a week. But otherwise super easy to grow for yourself.