I did something dumb.

Fishface

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, as y'all may know, I had two female bettas living peacefully in the same tank, and yes, my obsessiveness over this hobby of mine did leave me watching the tank ALOT.

One was red, and one was blue.

But then....I did something dumb.

I saw a PURPLE female betta. And man, is she ever PURPLE!

So I had to get her. Now, whatever pecking order was established is totally in shambles, and everyone started attacking everyone after she'd been in the tank for about 10 minutes.

Now she and and the blue one are in a divided breeder, and the red one swims around flaring.

Ugh. Ugggggh. > (angry at self)

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't recomend putting ANY of them back together. I suggest you get 2 new tanks. Sorry-- and if it makes you feel any better, the other 2 would've probably caused trouble sooner or later.
I would LOVE to see a picture of this new purple betta, I have never seen a purple one!
Good luck with your situation.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree. Two females cannot establish a pecking order. Either way this was bound to happen. This is why I always advise against putting female Bettas together. I don't care how many people online say they've done it successfully, it always ends in disaster. As I've said before, female Bettas only get MORE aggressive as they get older.
I'm glad you got them out before they killed each other. Please keep them all in separate tanks, or get a 10 gallon and divide it and put two in there and leave one in the original tank. My females live together nicely in divided tanks. This way they can still play but they won't be invading the other's territory. They seem to be best friends through the divider but I know if I removed the divider they'd be at each other's throats in about 10 minutes!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yea, it was just a trigger to collapse the house of cards, not anything dumb to pick up the new girl.. eventually some trigger collapses it and they realize "Hey, this is MY tank!". There are a few exceptions that prove the rule, but most species of betta just don't play nice with each other.

We'd love to see your new purple girl! we really want a purple pair.. and a green.. and ... etc, etc.. but she must be such a beauty - i can imagine how hard she'd be to resist.

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes I have seen a absolutely GORGEOUS female purple betta in my Petco... she was the hardest thing to resist! I WOULD have come home with her, and a new tank, AND Bio-Spira, because I just realized my petco sells it.... BUT! She was all bloated and her scales were sticking out, AND petco said they would not take a lower price for her. There was also a white/green female too... she had horrible fungus growing from her gills, but she had so much spirit! She came right to me and swam around... I felt horrible for her!

My mothers friend works there and I told her about the poorly fish. She said that she would take them out back and treat them, and that they get them (from the breeder or wherever petco gets their bettas from) all wrecked like that and they usually die. It made me feel at least a little bit better that they were trying to treat them, but I think most of the problem is the unheated tanks.
Brianna

Fishface

Valued Member
Reaction score
she looks blue in all of the photos! Any ideas about how to make the camera capture her actual color?

Jendayi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Can you turn all the lights on in your room and take the picture without the flash?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fishface said:
she looks blue in all of the photos! Any ideas about how to make the camera capture her actual color?
If you'd like to send some of the photos to me, i can try working them and see if i can get the red levels adjusted properly so that her color comes out better. We have to color-correct some of our betta photos too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom