I did mess up.

1. Jackie Frost Member Member

It's funny and sad at the same time. The white gourami (and smallest of all the fish) has decided that the area around the heater, the filter and one of the plants, belongs to him alone and nips at any fish that 'intrudes' in his area. Meanwhile the Puffer will swim around happily at some moments but usually spends most of her time hiding in the toy log. (I think the amonia is getting to her already. I'm going to return her the first thing in the morning.) The golden gourami (the largest fish of all) spends most of her time trying to escape from the white gourami. And I already seen small bits of her fin tail missing. :'(

I now know how serious it is to stock the RIGHT fish. To tell you the truth gang I'd return every single one of them except I need at least two to help cycle the tank with Tetra Safe Start. I doubt they'd accept my poor nipped Golden Gourami anyway.

So now my new game plan is to return the puffer tommorow. Return the white gourami (I'll still try and get a picture of him before he goes back) the next day. I'm expecting 4 apple snails on Thursday and hopefully them along with the Golden Gourami and Tetra Safe Start will safely see the tank cycled.
    Is there anything I overlooked? Does anyone have any better plans?

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

what is your final stock list?

edit: I am asking because if you know what you want to end up with, then we can figure out what order to add the fish into the tank and also make sure in the end you'll have a peaceful tank.

3. Jackie Frost Member Member

Hi Meenu! I didn't know you were actually Mommybaby. Why did you change your identity?:D

Back to the question ...Once the tank is fully cycled I'm thinking 4 bleeding Tetras and a Molly. The only potiential wrench in the machinery is the Golden Gourami. Right now she's acting timid, but that may change. I don't know what to do about her. She's too nipped up to return to the store:;dk

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

When I joined this website, I never dreamed that I would become a regular (and able - or allowed - to give others advice). I feel like I've become friends with the people here, and it felt weird to be anonymous. So I decided to go ahead and just use my first name.

I would think you could put the molly in with the TSS... but someone else is going to have to advise you on this one, I'm not experienced enough on this,

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I know the advice we hear is often wrong, or LFS are always trying to make a sale no matter what, but yesterday we suggested NOT putting 2 gouramis in that size tank so im wondering why you did this? although I know they are your tanks and fish, now theres injuries to them and thats not fair to the fish :(
    If you have a breeder net, id put the agressor in that for the night so nothing gets beat up worse....your LFS should take her back seeing how they should know better than to let you buy something for the small tank that wont work ....if they dont let you take her back, she may/may not get along with the bleeding tetras...I have 5 in with my golden boy but its a 45g tank..he doesnt bother them but in a 15g tank, not sure yours would be as nice...I hope things look up soon for your tank and I hope your daughter understands why the puffer wont work either...good luck!@

6. Jackie Frost Member Member

That was my original plan too Shawnie. Unfortunatly I got flustered when the clerk told me I couldn't get the tetras I had wanted. (He said they would die due to amonia problems) So I had to make up a new stocking plan right there in the store with my daughter pestering me for a puffer. I realize my mistake now and I am sorry that my fish had to suffer for it. One good thing about learning the hard way ...the lesson usually sticks and you earn one step more on the stairs of experience.

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

well, the plan is to not have ammonia problems with the TSS... :)
    Actually, I've also read that tetras don't handle a cycling tank well. I think you should rethink your stock list.

I know you think you'll have to keep your golden gourami, but I think they get to 6 inches big, which is way too big for your tank also for the tankmates you have in mind. I think it is not a dwarf species. I would push for the fish store to take the return.

Would you consider instead going with a molly, a dwarf gourami, and maybe three male guppies or platies? They are peaceful and should do okay with the TSS. You could add the platies/guppies and the molly with the TSS, and then add the DG later. You could even add 3 cories or otos for the bottom of the tank at some point. If you don't want bottom-dwelling fish, you may have space for your 4 tetras at some point, after your tank and cycle are well-established.

If you go the molly and guppy/platy route, your daughter will have some very colorful and fun fish to watch, and I honestly think you will have less stress. If you have your heart set on the larger gourami, I think you'll want to either let it have the tank by itself or get it a new one, but eventually it'll need a bit more space, in my opinion.

By the way, all is not lost on the puffer front. Once you are a bit more experienced and this tank is set up, I've read you can keep one puffer in a 5 gallon... that may make a nice birthday gift for your daughter's room next year. :)

Good luck, Jackie. I think the fish store person was right in telling you the tetras wouldn't handle the tank well. I just wish he'd taken it a step further and advised you better about the compatibility.

8. Jackie Frost Member Member

:;laughing I already promised her I'd get her a Betta in a private tank for her birthday! She threw a temper tantrum in the store when I explained to her why she couldn't have a betta - so I was quick to give in with the puffer out of fear for her making another embarassing scene. Those five-year-old blackamilers!

That fish list sounds good. I gotta tell you though I'm kind of leary of adding any more fish at the moment because of the disater that's going on right now. Yet I know how important it is that I have some live stock to help the Safe Start. Couldn't apple snails do the job just as effeciently? After all they're not going to break out into a fight. Am I right?

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Ooh, I have no clue about that. But I can tell you now that your platies won't break into a fight either. They are super-docile. I'd imagine them to be the cows of aquaria. Lol.

I would return everything in there now, if I were you. I don't think a puffer, an unknown-but-possibly-albino-gourami, or a golden gourami are appropriate fish for your tank, and I think you realize that too. You can even use this as a teaching tool for your daughter about how fish are living beings, we have to respect them and learn what will make them happy before we buy, because if we don't, it can hurt them (not a lecture for you, I promise that's not my intent!!)

Then I'd purchase the platies and the molly and put them in the tank, taking care to properly acclimate them. And really, I'd wait at least a month before adding anything else. Your platies and mollies won't fight each other, I don't think. I've had a platy before (back when I was less intellectual about such things - his tankmate was a red-tailed shark, and they shared a 2.2 gallon globe-shaped, unfiltered home) and he'd make friends with anyone.

10. Jackie Frost Member Member

Okay, I'll try that. I'll send the fish back first thing in the morning.