I did it!!! 30 Gallon Tank

1. Ziabis

Ziabis Well Known Member Member

I bought a Eheim 2213 Canister Filter and I ordered a T5 dual bulb light fixture.

I got the 2213 for $90 and the fixture and 2 bulbs for $149...:;shat

Merry Christmas to myself...

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sure you'll love the canister!

3. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Ok today I finally got my T5 HO dual lamp fixture installed.

Now, will I get tons of algae and will I require a DIY CO2?

4. soarl

soarl Valued Member Member

Yes...canisters are nice. I started with a whisper 20i and found a deal on a Marineland C-160 canister. Huge improvement! The T5HO's will be awesome also. My brother let me borrow a 24" 4 bulb T5HO and it's really helping my plants!

5. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Probably, but it's hard to say for sure. It depends alot on the tank size (height in particular) and brand of fixture.

6. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Brand is Aquatic Life and 20" from light to base of plants. 30G

7. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

you might need co2, I think that the main cause of algae is too much light. then there is the imbalance of excess nutriants in the water. as long as you are diligent with your water changes and limit your photo period(lights on) you should be able to control algae pretty easily. my lights are on about 6 hours. less when algae starts to become a problem

8. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

I have been changing water weekly and now that I have this light, I guess I should
    only have it on for 6-8 hours. The store said 8-10. I think maybe I will try 8 and see what happens.

9. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

If you have a lot of light, you basically have to fert, and if you fert, you need reasonably high lighting, is how I understand it. Also, if you have high light and ferts, you may also need CO2.

10. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

If I do need CO2, what is the reasoning.
    I do use fertilizer.

11. Eienna

Presumably to give plants an extra boost to use the light and ferts before the algae can, I guess. *shrug* I haven't fooled with CO2 myself, and my plants are fine and dandy as far as I can tell.

Basically, if you have enough of the right plants to use up the nitrate, phosphate, etc relatively quickly, you won't get a mass of nuisance algae. I think the CO2 is just to give them that extra boost to metabolize everything and outcompete the algae.

I just upgraded to a dual T5 myself <3

12. jetajockey

In order to grow plants need light, co2, and ferts. With a limitation on any one of these the growth will also be limited. Plants MUST have a carbon source, but there is a small amount of atmospheric co2 in an oxygenated tank. Some plants will also strip carbon from the water itself (i.e. removing KH). But any time you go with more light you can expect a higher demand for co2 as well as ferts.

13. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

I really don't want to go CO2 becuase from what I have read it can be alot of work to manage. Up until now, I only had a T8 17 watt bulb and have had growth. All my plants have grown, not super fast but they have grown. The indica have grown many inches.
    I hope that the new T5 HO bulbs don't produce a ton of algae but create a better environment for the fish and plants.

14. Eienna

I imagine fish give off CO2 in the process of respiration, so if your tank is well-stocked you may not need supplemental CO2? At least until you hit really high light...

15. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

So it's like a recipe - if you add more of one, you have to add more of everything to maintain the balance?

16. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

But my problem is, HOW do I know this. How will I know how much more fertilizer to put in, or if and when do I need CO2? I mean how can one learn. I mean reading is fine, but for me how do I implement all this?
    Right now I use fertilizer 3 times a week.

17. jetajockey

Pretty much, but it seems like light is the biggest contributing factor, so less light = less demand on the other 2.

18. Eienna

Well....if you start seeing problems, there's a problem, and you adjust accordingly, I guess. Trial and error?

19. OP
    OP
    Ziabis

Well I plan to use the light for 8 hours to see what happens?
    The store told me 8-10 max.
    I don't care if my plants grow fast or slow, as long as they are healthy.

20. jetajockey

You can tell by watching the plants, if they are lacking in ferts they will show deficiencies. With that light on that size tank you will most likely need to do co2 to help avoid algae outbreaks but you can try it and see, not every tank is the same.

Injecting co2 is only bad if it's overdone to the point of hurting the tank inhabitants, otherwise it's fine to add even if the plants aren't necessarily using all of it. It's not like dumping a ton of ferts in or adding a ton of light, those two often result in algae blooms.