I did a bad thing today.

1. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

After having Betta envy for a long time, I broke. I found myself at Petco wandering around the aisles. I swore I would never buy a Petco Betta to support their Betta in a cup program.... but then I figured... what better home than with me? So I picked out a Blue Green Beautiful Betta in a cup (how sad), a small tank, a heater, a small filter, rocks, a decornation, a banana plant and misc other. Now I technically have 4 tanks, although I don't know if a 2.5 counts. I would like to get him a small Fluval or something when I have more money, but he should be happier than in that 2 ounce cup. NO MORE SHOPPING UNTIL I GET MY 100 GALLON tank.

2. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Did you get some TSS to cycle the new tank? What type of betta is he? Pictures?!

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Wheres the pics!!?

4. RTBS Member Member

Yeah still very important to cycle even for a betta...

5. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I will post a picture as soon as I can find my camera.... one of my kids lost it. But, I am not a big believer in TSS. I am a Prime and a water change kinda girl. It has always worked for me before. But he is beautiful with a dark blue head and and aqua green body.

No, I know, my Betta will get 50% water changes every day until the tank is cycled, unless you really think that I should TSS it.

Here we go . . . . straight from the lens.

Attached Files:

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Oooh he's GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!

7. Paintcraze Member Member

He is beautiful! I have been wanting to set up a Betta tank too!

8. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

He is supposed to be a veiltale? I don't know what he is.

9. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Looks more like a half moon plakat. if you payed veiltale prices for him then well done :)

10. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

He's a handsome Halfmoon Plakat :)

11. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

The package was labeled veiltale, but I have heard of halfmoon's. I only paid 7.99 for him. I don't know pricing.... but I like him no matter what he is called.

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Silly PetCo XD

The PetCo near where my mom lives actually checks to see if the lid matches whats in the cup, since people have been switching the lids to get a cheaper price (can you blame them??) :;laughing

13. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I never thought of that.... hmmmmm. Actually, what scum. It is only a few dollars we are talking about here.

14. Shine Well Known Member Member

Gorgeous betta! Can I have him? :p

I wouldn't bother with tts either. Either do your planned water changes with prime, or just swipe a small piece of sponge or a few ceramic rings from one of your larger tanks ;)

15. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Not when the fish you want is priced in the double digits, its not. Perhaps PetCos there are cheaper, but down here, the bettas range from $2-13 o_O

Still, its not right, but why price fish so high, if most of them are never going to make it off the shelf. In the end, it loosed them money.

16. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

What they count on I think is people like me who come in with no plan really and buy the tank, the filter, this and that and this.... makes them money. You can't tell me a bag of rocks costs them $5.00 either?

17. ploopy Member Member

looks sharp!!!

18. SarahFish Member Member

beautiful Betta!

19. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Why not just use some media from another filter seeing as you have other tanks to cycle your betta tank? Using TSS or prime in this situation is such a waste of money!?

20. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Oh my what a beautiful betta! I have been wanting one also. there are some very pretty ones out there! And by the way i dont look at it as you doing something bad! I look at it as you saving a life!!!!! Good for you but better for this betta!!!! I know it will be so happy now!!! Hope yall enjoy each other for a long time!!!