I decided to upgrade my garbage goldfish pond

Donovan Jones

I had a goldfish pond, and it had 12 goldies, no filter, and was choked by plant growth. I didn't want goldfish because I knew it was too small, but my mom added them anyway. I had it like this for 2 years, and every year i basically had to reset the pond and it took ages. At some point i accidentally added plant or snail leeches, so I had a great deal of paranoia when cleaning it.
I was sick of it. I hated that I was essentially abusing fish because I didn't know what I was doing. I thought adding just 2 at first would be fine, but 2 became 12 because goldfish, and looking at how poorly done it was made me sad.
It was time to upgrade. I liked the idea of how Joey Mullen, aka King of DIY, made his, and decided to give it a whirl. I asked me mum if she was fine with it and where to put it, and started digging. 8'x5'x30". I bought ground rated pressure treated lumber and built a frame to lower into the ground and backfill all the extra dirt to insulate it in winter better. I made a 40 gallon bog filter out of one of those tuff stuff totes, and plan to make a secondary pond frame with a liner for a better and bigger one if wood ever gets cheaper. The skimmer is an in pond skimmer on 2 milk crates and its zip tied securely with rocks weighing down the bottom. The plan is to eventually have the liner covered in greenery and a wood frame placed over it to pinch it in place. Its far from done, but I'[m so happy with it and the goldfish do zoomies all day. Pics in a sec, gotta switch to me phone to upload em.
The last 2 are right after setup. It sat with water stagnating a bit because I couldn't fill it up all at once. The goldfish have become little water piggies and my nephew loves letting em nibble his fingers.

UmNick

Looks great! keep us updated! :)

Upvote 0

Natalie666

Dang everyone’s making ponds now! Cant wait for updates, I’m sure ur goldies will love the final outcome!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Thetanknwebie
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
gsong321
  • Dlondon95
  • Ponds
2 3
Replies
Views