I Cycled My First Tank!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Levibeast, Apr 9, 2017.

1. LevibeastValued MemberMember

It finally fully cycled I think after I tested the waters today. It took almost 7 weeks!

Ammonia is yellow, but not as yellow as the scale, so there might be a hint of ammonia. Nitrites are 0 and nitrates are I think 20ppm. I never had a nitrite spike, the highest it went was .5ppm. I used seachem prime and did water changes 20-25% at least every other day, sometimes two days in a row especially in the beginning. The only live plants I have are 5 gigantic moss balls.

I did a fish-in cycle and picked a betta because I really liked him. About 3 weeks later I added 3 cory habrosus. I just thought my betta was being really crazy after I saw him with a shredded tail. After I added the cories, his tail has grown back a little bit, and never saw the shredding again. He also stopped chasing his reflection non stop too.

Overall, I am really happy with my new found hobby, and I hope to have long life time of fish friends. Thank you so much for everyone that answered my questions and helped me through this process.

2. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

It's good that it's cycled, but what size tank is it?

3. OP
    OP
    L

LevibeastValued MemberMember

I have a 10 gallon

4. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

According to this site c. hasbrosus can be kept in a 10, so good. Most corydoras need a 20. Increase that cory school to 6 after a week or so. They are much happier and more active in groups of 6 or more.

5. OP
    OP
    L

I have 6! I added 3 more a little over a week ago. They are much more bold and active the whole time now instead of during just feeding lol. They swim in all my silk plants looking for food. Little piggies.

6. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

I have 8 bronze corys in my tank, love watching them. So much personality. :)

7. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

I love my Pygmy cories!

8. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Cool!
    Will you try to breed them in the future (without the betta obviously)? Dwarf corydoras are easy to breed and make for a fun experience! It will also make your corydora school bigger for free :D

9. OP
    OP
    L

I wouldn't know how to breed them, but that definitely sounds interesting. Do you have any tips?

10. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

I keep corydoras pygmeus and all they need is good plant cover and meaty foods, I havent bred mine yet (I have some fish I have to move out to other tanks to leave the pigmy corys alone so they breed)but everything I have red states pygemus are the easiest ones. I will probably breed them in the near future.
    Wehn it comes to hasbrous, I think that again, you need to give them a lot of plant cover, make them feel safe, feed them meaty foods like bloodworms and other stuff and then do a cool water change to trigger spawning.
    You can look up on planetcatfish.com for more info.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice