I Couldnt Resist - New 6.5 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Frankieflowaz, Apr 19, 2019.

1. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

@Islandvic @Feohw i couldnt resist everyone lol looked nice and has a 7 light color led! 6.5g 0419192323.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  2. FahnFishlore VIPMember

How do you plan to set it up?

3. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

It came with a lil filter and 7 color led i bought some black gravel ima rinse and put in there not sure what ima add for him to hide in but ima get some real plant to put in middle maybe amazon swords idk i never had a plant befor i got 2 water lilies growing for my 20gal long but not grown yet so idk what to expect but for fish im not sure i was thinking a koi beta possibly but open to any stock ideas!!@Fahn

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  4. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Is that a 5 gallon or a 10 gallon?

Very interesting.

A sponge filter would work for that.

5. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

6.5 gal tank hexagon i believe the 25gph filter 1555732027109964879075.jpg1555732052384594989047.jpg

@Islandvic

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019
  6. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

I love that! I think stem plants would look nice in it too.
    Something like rotala or bacopa maybe? And definitely a sword would look nice!
    This is the bacopa I just bought..
    20190419_191008.jpg

7. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

Wow looks great!!! Very colorful n healthy looking

I don't have any soil so how can i go about growing my plant in the gravel?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019
  8. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

It seems you're beginning to catch a case of the very contagious MTS. Be careful or there's only going back!
    Seriously though, It's a nice tank. Just some thing, amazon swords can grow very tall and need deep substrate. In a 6.5 you'd need to trim quite a bit. If you can find Echinodorus bleheri 'compacta' I believe that's a smaller type of sword that would be more manageable. And make sure to cycle the tank before adding a betta, you can hook the filter up to the 20g to gain bacteria from there.

I really like java fern, java moss and anubias as they are really easy to care for. Dwarf hairgrass is really nice too as is anarchis. My bettas love to sit on the leaves of their anubias barteri nana.

9. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

How long would it take for it to bacteria up and how would i keep the bacteria alive till i get the fish(s)? And i think ima go for a smaller plant didnt know any thing bout swords they just kooked nice hmmm any plant ideas?

10. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

I have all my plants in gravel. Anubias and java fern do best tied to rocks/wood. Sword plants need deep gravel and they are heavy root feeders so they would benefit from root tabs too.
    If you can find the dwarf sword then that's fine, it gets to 6 inches if your tank is that tall. The anubias nana are quite nice, I've found java fern to be unkillable and anarchis grows very fast and you could cut it in half and replant to get more of them. I like dwarf hairgrass as I like the grassy look of it. My spiky moss has gone wild in my bigger tank and looks really good. Crypts are quite nice too. There's lots of plants to choose from. If you see a plant you like in the shop, look it up on the Internet, see how tall it grows and what it's care level is. Some need plant substrate, co2 and great lights etc.

Edit** you could leave it there for a few weeks. Or you could put media from your other filter into the new one and move some established gravel to the new tank. That way bacteria will already be in the tank and the cycle will speed up.

11. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

I really like various types of crypts, parva is one of my favorites, they're cute and look sorta like little grass bushes
    Microswords, moss balls, java moss or java ferns, christmas moss, lots of choices!

12. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

Thanks alot of great info bud! Also what do root tabs do exactly? Do I ever change them? Also for filter media its too big i only have big pads :( what is good filter media to use for my rainbow cichlid and the beta(2 maybe breeding pair)?

13. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Its a little tab that you put into the gravel, it has nutrients that the plants will absorb. You should just have to put a new one in every now and then as the plants use up the old one.

Ah, in my filters I have ceramic balls and seachem matrix. If you have pads in yours then it's best just to leave them where they are and put the new filter in the old tank for a few weeks. A sponge filter in addition to the new one could help speed you along, and I'm not too sure how good that filter is. Adding some of the established gravel will also help to move bacteria over. You could get some panty hose, put some of the new tanks gravel in it to cycle that while the filter is cycling too.

14. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

Think ill just bring a small claypot over to the tank and put in a New one in my old tank I got a spare claypot and the one ill be taking out is just a pot sanded down but i will need to break the hole dont want a dead beta also im thinking 1 plant and 2 moss balls for the 6.5 tank with that small clay pot and for the old tank gonna get more media to add cause i think i got some space for more

15. JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

Rosette swords and anubias nana petite would be some nice options if your light is up to the task. Rosette swords like root tabs just like any sword, but grow short, wide, and fluffy underwater (almost like an open rose rose bloom) and anubias nana petite is a nice little easily managed slow growing water column feeder. So you can literally super glue it anywhere just about.

16. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

My lights a 7 color led is that strong enough to grow any plants?

17. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Maybe the lowest of the low-tech, but otherwise probably not. The light is more of a gimmick for a colorful tank than being a functional grow light.

18. FrankieflowazValued MemberMember

So no plants for the 6.5 gal lol

19. FahnFishlore VIPMember

There are plants that will probably work, but they will be low-light plants like anubias or maybe some crypts.

20. jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

@Frankieflowaz
    At this point all you can do is try a few of the plants mentioned. Curious to see what you come up with.
    Good Luck!