I Cooked My Fish Alive...

1. s

shooter78 New Member Member

i had the happiest little female betta in a top fin 10 gallon starter kit. i had just done my first ever SUCCESSFUL water change (go me!!) and it was so good. and we had plans to go away for the weekend. ok. so i went away from thursday to sunday. i fed it on thursday, everything was normal. it missed its feeding on friday because no one could come and feed it. it would be fine. someone came and fed it on saturday. they said my tank was a whopping 95 degrees! she said my poor little fish was all blown up and wouldnt eat and was just sitting on its wall leaf thing. she said she looked at the heater and it said it was set to 93!!!! thats nuts! i always had it set to 80. she set it back to 82 but the next day when we came back my little betta was dead. so idk what happened with my fish heater. i have it set on 75 right now because i am all paranoid of course. i guess i still had "warranty" on this fish so i went back and got a new one. hopefully there arent any diseases in that tank☹️

2. MudSkipper

MudSkipper Valued Member Member

I'm so sorry! What kind of heater is it?

3. mclemente06

mclemente06 Valued Member Member

Wow, that sucks. So sad to see so many heater problems recently. Makes me really paranoid.

4. t

tk27 New Member Member

It might be the heater. it could be a broken one, or it got broken because it could be low quality or something like that. I have all of my heaters placed low, near the gravel. I once had one of my heaters going bad after doing a bigger water change and having my heater exposed while it was still working. I have been lucky to find it out pretty fast so no fish was harmed that day. I always understood that this is bad for heaters in general, but Im not a real expert lol.

5. MudSkipper

6. OP
    OP
    s

it was the one that came with the top fin 10 gallon starter pack, i think its a 50 watt. its grey.

7. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

It's so sad, I'm sorry for your loss. :(

8. OP
    OP
    s

thanks! yeah i havent added my new fish and im just waiting so see if my dial turns up by itself. if something goes wrong ill defenitly buy a new one.

9. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

Please get rid of the old one, nothing good can come from using it.

10. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Sorry about your loss, would buy a new one. Not worth starting over to have issues 3 months down the road.

11. OP
    OP
    s

okay. ive got it in there but not plugged in yet, i guess i wont use it. my tank has been 81 this whole time. itll probably go down to maybe 75 at the lowest. is this ok? do i even need a heater? its just a betta fish.

12. MudSkipper

Your tank should be at 75-80F so keep the heater plugged in, it has a thermostat which (when above temperature) will not heat the water.

"Just a betta fish" is not the right attitude to have about your fish, your Betta has needs and wants, and this should be respected, sorry if this comes off as rude but your Betta is a living thing, and like all living things, should be respected.

13. OP
    OP
    s

im worried itll go up to 95 again. it seemed to have dialled itself up by itself and malfunctioned. i had it set to 80 and when the tank was 95, the person who checked on her said that it was set to 93. i know for sure i would not set it to 93.

and im really sorry i offended you. i didnt at all mean it in that matter. i meant it as that is the only fish in the tank. i totally agree with you and im sorry it came off that way.

14. MudSkipper

No worries!

15. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Just had this happened to me an hour ago, had my heater set to 80f , I went to go feed my fish and noticed my temp was at 90f!! I immediately removed the heater and placed a new one, I'll let it slowly come down to 80f since I placed a brand new heater(I have 7 aquariums so alot of extra stuff on hand). The other one went straight to the garbage since I can no longer trust it.

sorry for your lost , in my case everyone was okay.

16. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Rip little fishie

17. F

Freshwaterfish101 New Member Member

Did you leave your tank light on? I don't have a LED light so I've found that when I leave the light on too long it heats up my water ALOT. If that is the issue all you would need to do is get a different light. :)

18. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

Just get a new one. It could be one of those things where it turns itself up so slowly you don't notice it, then it goes faster as it gets hotter- either that or someway, somehow, somebody touched the controls and re-set it. I've got one light bulb that walks itself out of its socket no matter how tightly I put it in. It's not worth cooking another fish. Get one with a non-adjustable thermostat. Betta's aren't going to care if they're one or two degrees above or below their 'ideal' temperature.

19. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I have a top notch heater on my mbuna tank and it keeps it a steady 77*f all winter long, but this is summer. I looked twords the tank the other day and they were all going crazy! Went to the thermometer and it was 86*f in there, hence the aggression. So off with the lights, in went those blue ice blocks floated in ziplock bags and the lids stay open to catch the ceiling fan breeze. Took 6 hours to bring the temp to normal range.
    It happens. I would not worry about any disease. Your fish could not handle the heat.

20. g

goosemary New Member Member

We had this same very heater in our betta tank. This moring was woken up by my boyfriend in tears after finding him floating at the top, pink. I had gone to bed early last night and was trying to troubleshoot and issues my bf may have noticed. He said he saw him at the top acting kinda weird so did a partial water change, but that he didn't see any ich spots or physical signs of an issue on the fish.
    The thermometer on the side of the tank only goes up to 85 degrees and there was no reading shown. When I pressed my hand to the side of the tank I immediately knew what had happened. It was hot to the touch. I am assuming the temp of the water had raised to about 95-100 degrees over the night.
    Just devastating to think about this happening to the poor fish and makes you feel just terrible.

From all that I have read there have been so many issues with this specific heater. I will be pulling the other one we have out of the other betta tank to avoid this happening again.

Realize that this thread is older but it's comforting somewhat to see we are not alone in this.