I Cleaned my filter media

Nickopli

Ok so, I am a fairly beginner fish keeper, only around 3 months now, cycled tank what not, 10 gallons. I have one of those smaller 10i filter systems, if you look it up its the first result, I cleaned out my filter media today, apparently uh.. thats a big nono due to the beneficial bacteria being kept there.... Are my fish gonna be in trouble? Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do
Just for additional information I didn't clean it with the tank water I took it out and cleaned it separately

carsonsgjs

You can clean your filter media when it gets clogged, but you shouldn’t take it out and replace it with completely new media.

I’d really only use old tank water to clean media myself but there are others that use tap water too. Either way, I’d just keep an eye on your parameters to make sure your cycle is fine - watch out for ammonia and nitrites in particular.

Upvote 0

Bwood22

How long was your bio media exposed to chlorine?
Did it have time to dry out?

How many and what type of fish, plants and substrate is in the tank?

Upvote 0

Nickopli

How long was your bio media exposed to chlorine?
Did it have time to dry out?

How many and what type of fish, plants and substrate is in the tank?
Uh its an angelfish 2 mollies and 2 tetras (all young), the media was wet when i put it back in my filter, the substrate is like the rock gravel you can buy at stores, no live plants

Upvote 0

Bwood22

Uh its an angelfish 2 mollies and 2 tetras (all young), the media was wet when i put it back in my filter, the substrate is like the rock gravel you can buy at stores, no live plants
If you rinsed your bio media in tap water....that's ok.

As long as it wasn't exposed to chlorine for a prolonged period of time.
Chlorine will eradicate 99% of your beneficial bacteria after 60 mins of exposure.

So even if it was just a quick rinse and then put back into dechlorinated water you should be fine.

But I wouldn't touch that filter for several weeks/months.

Let it get good and established.
To play it safe....rinse with tank water.
But tap water isn't going to ruin your bio filtration if it was only a few mins.

If you use tap water, just be quick about it.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
awilkinson871
Replies
Views
RSababady
Replies
Views
tfreema
Replies