I Can't See All My Neon Tetras

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by XenoMarc, Apr 10, 2017.

1. XenoMarc

XenoMarc Valued Member Member

Hello.
    As I was slightly rearranging rocks, driftwood and putting floating plants back in the sand, I noticed my neon tetras huddled up. I counted them and there were 8 neon tetras, but we originally bought 9. I am scared that one might be dead, stuck in the filter, buried in the sand, crushed by the decor idk and I'm scared that maybe more are dead as well.
    I screwed up so bad.
    Please help.
    Thank you.

2. W

WhiteCloudMinnows Valued Member Member

Of my white cloud mountains minnows, I have one that goes missing sometimes and then reappears a little while later. Try waiting a bit, then checking again. If s/he doesn't appear soon, then try poking the plants a bit to see if s/he's hiding in there, move around the sand, check inside the filter, that kind of stuff, and if THAT doesn't work than you can move around the stuff some more to look for a dead fish.

3. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

XenoMarc Valued Member Member

Hello.
    I think I have solved the problem of the missing one of my nine neon tetras. While looking at the tank, I saw some passages in the sand under the filter and my sister said she saw a neon tetra swim into it under the filter. I began trying to rake the sand away from the filter only finding that the bottom section of the filter is hollow. I think that some neon tetras may have dug a way through and are hiding in the hollow part of the filter from time to time.

For those wondering, this is my tank and filter:  

How can I prevent them hiding in the hollow filter?
    Do I need to remove the filter, then block up any possible way under the filter, then place it back in?
    Any tips/advice please?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

4. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Let them have their safe place. At least you know where to look for them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice