I can't get rid of it!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by babynemo, Aug 9, 2015.

1. babynemo

babynemoValued MemberMember

I've had my ten gallon set up for well over a year now, multiple fish have been in and out of this tank. It's semi heavily planted. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates stay well below 40. Weekly water change of 40-50%. Temperature is 76-78 depending on time of day. It houses 7 female guppies and one male guppy. Also a few Assassin snails and who knows what other kinds of snails are in there. I introduced the 6 female guppies two days ago. They were ordered online and they had forgotten about my order, so I'm pretty sure they never fasted the fish before sending them out to me. The water in the bag was smelly, gross, and had a lot of poop built up in it. They were fine the first day they were introduced. Now, on a few of them they have clamped fins and white spotches that stick up from the skin, I don't think it's ich. I had this happen before and treated with Furan 2 and Fungus Cure by API. The last time I treated fish for it I lost half the fish that were being treated. One of my fish is still in quarantine after being treated because as soon as I put her back in the main tank she developed mouth rot. I'm terrified I'm going to completely lose everything in the ten gallon. Around 15 fry were born this morning and I will be heart broken if I lose them.

I'll see if I can get a picture of the fish infected, but they move around a lot.

2. OP
    OP
    babynemo

Sorry for having to bump this thread, but I really need help.

3. The Red SeverumValued MemberMember

Pictures are probably the best option for I can see what kind of fungas your dealing with. I would do a 50% water change on the tank. Make sure all of your carbon is out. I have had the best luck with pimafix in this situation. I would keep on the water changes everyday with doses of medicine.

4. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Got a pic?

5. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

6. OP
    OP
    babynemo

I thought it wasn't ich but now it's started to look a lot like it, their fins are rotting. I have even more fry than before and it's impossible to get pictures of these fish they won't stand still. I cranked up the temperature trying to get it around 85. Could I seperate the fish showing symptoms and treat them that way? Or by this point is most likely my whole tank infected?

I also only use sponge filters on the ten gallons and im worried so many water changes especially of 50% every day or so will stress the fish out even more. I was considering moving the babies into a breeding pc and putting them in the other ten. But if the tanks infected them I would be contaminating my tank with 100 dollars worth of fish in it.

7. The Red SeverumValued MemberMember

Any fish that are in the tank are either fighting off the sickness or have it. No sense on spreading it around. I would stick stick to the 50% everyday.

8. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

Ich doesn't rot fins, that is bacterial not parasitic. Increasing the temperature on a bacterial infection makes it grow faster and do more damage. You need to treat the tank with an antibiotic to kill the bacteria.

9. OP
    OP
    babynemo

Did a 50% water change today. Have the fry in a breeding box floating in the tank to watch them for signs of disease. Loss four fish today, their bodies were rotted. They were fine last night, dead when I got home and rotted.
    I brought the temperature back down. Will medications kill my plants and invertebrates? How should I prep the tank for treatment?

I have the worst luck with fish. I feel like I should just sell everything, cut my losses, and give up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice