I can't get my new Jewel Cichlid to eat anything.

americanninja

I'm hoping for some advice from someone that has kept these fish. Any idea what is going on? I picked up this guy from a Petco two days ago. He's probably at least 3-4 inches long. I haven't seen him eat anything and he just swims past the food, doesn't even try to taste it, it's like it's not even there (as if he were blind).

Some background:
He was at the Petco in a tank with other assorted peacock cichlids. They didn't know what he was and classified him as a Jack Dempsey (which is fine by me, as the price for those are only $5, no idea what a Jewel Cichlid goes for). Anyway, while I was there, the staff dropped some 2mm pellets in the tank, all the other fish had a feeding frenzy on them, but this guy just sat in the corner uninterested. Which I thought was strange, but he looked healthy and just seemed chill. Exactly what I wanted for my tank with two Blood Parrots, 2 platies, and a lace catfish. So I decide to buy him.

Now, fast forward to today, it's been 2 days now and he hasn't eaten anything.

I feed my fish Hikari Cichlid floating pellets (3mm), Omega One Fish flakes, and occasionally frozen blood worms. I have tried all 3 since I got this guy and he hasn't taken an interest in any of them.

He looks completely healthy, swims around the tank all the time and hangs out with the blood parrots. He's a lot more active than he was in the petco tank (he wasn't even really moving much at all there).

So I'm just a bit confused why he's not eating. Anyone have suggestions, ideas, etc. All appreciated. I've attached some photos of the little guy...

Attachments

• IMG_6386.JPG
    IMG_6386.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6389.JPG
    IMG_6389.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6390.JPG
    IMG_6390.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 19

devilson

give him some time hes fairly new to the tank my oscar when i bought him didnt even eat for abt a week and now he is doing awesome. try giving food like shrimp if u can

Upvote 0

americanninja

Hmmm, I'm worried it may be something different. It's been 4 days now and she/he still has not eaten anything I've put in the tank (floating pellets, frozen blood worms, and flakes).

I read some other threads where it seems these Jewel Cichlids can be quite picky with what they eat.

Any other ideas? I don't notice any other symptoms, but could it be something else, where I should quarantine this fish in another tank just in case?

Upvote 0

devilson

Hmmm, I'm worried it may be something different. It's been 4 days now and she/he still has not eaten anything I've put in the tank (floating pellets, frozen blood worms, and flakes).

I read some other threads where it seems these Jewel Cichlids can be quite picky with what they eat.

Any other ideas? I don't notice any other symptoms, but could it be something else, where I should quarantine this fish in another tank just in case?
try shrimp fish love em

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
chromedome52
Replies
Views
americanninja
Replies
Views