I cant get my betta to eat

Donovan Jones

I just got this betta, and he seems healthy, water oparams are perfect, and hes looking fo food, but I cant seem to get him to realize that the pellets and flakes are food. He either ignores them or just doesnt notice them. Hes in a 10 gallon alone, and i dare no0t introduce victims, i mean tankmates because hed brutalize them. How do i get him to eat that first time? Ive never had a fish be this difficult.
Ive had him eat live daphnia, but that just prolongs the process of getting him onto the dry food because then he isnt hungry.

ValkyrieLips

Did you cycle your tank before adding him? What are the exact parameters and how long have you had him?

Upvote 0

Donovan Jones

0 ammonia and nitrite, 15 nitrate, and its been 3 days.

Upvote 0

ValkyrieLips

0 ammonia and nitrite, 15 nitrate, and its been 3 days.

He could be getting used to his new environment or the breeder may have only fed him live/frozen. Some bettas are shyer than others, my betta took a whole week to get comfortable in his tank when I got him. I would just give him a little more time, make sure there are a TON of hiding spots, and/or try some frozen foods or soaking pellets in garlic juice.

Since it's still super early I wouldn't stress too much.

Upvote 0

Donovan Jones

Im thinking about getting a feeding dish so the food doesnt just go into the gravel in the mean time. Do u think thatll help him find food?

Upvote 0

demetredanio

Im thinking about getting a feeding dish so the food doesnt just go into the gravel in the mean time. Do u think thatll help him find food?
thats actually a good idea, maybe it will show him that flakes and pellets are food too

Upvote 0

ValkyrieLips

If that much is falling into the gravel then you should try a different feeding method. I personally feed one piece at a time, except for frozen foods because he scavenges the few pieces that fall onto the sand.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Just make sure you do a vac, would hate for him to die from too much ammonia from uneaten food!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
evonner
  • Question
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
  • Question
Replies