I can't find one of my Amano's

Rachaeljuno

Member
I got two Amano shrimp for my 5 gallon two days ago, and this morning I could only find one. Yesterday they stayed in the same place almost all day, and then I noticed they were swimming around at night, but this morning I looked in the place they were yesterday and only one was there. It's not too heavily planted but there are a lot of plants. They're each about 1" long so they're somewhat easy to find, but I still can't find one even after looking everywhere. I also looked outside of the tank and it's not there either...

He's in the tank with my HM Betta but I've been watching super closely and there are absolutely no signs of aggression from the betta, he doesn't barely notice that they're there. I was thinking he maybe ate it but his belly is not bloated or big at all, and he ate as much as usual this morning so I don't think he ate the shrimp.
 

Spudsssy

Member
It's possible it could be molting, they tend to hide while molting.
 
  • Thread Starter

Rachaeljuno

Member
Yeah I have no idea I'm just worried because it doesn't seem like there's too many hiding places but I'm hoping tonight he'll come out. They were hella expensive bc I got them from a LFS instead of a chain sooo I'm hoping he's just hiding somewhere lol
 

kallililly1973

Member
Try putting a piece of veggie or algae wafer in after the lights go out to see if they both go for it. Do you have any furry pets? There is a chance it coulda jumped n got eaten by them? Just a couple thoughts
 
  • Thread Starter

Rachaeljuno

Member
kallililly1973 said:
Try putting a piece of veggie or algae wafer in after the lights go out to see if they both go for it. Do you have any furry pets? There is a chance it coulda jumped n got eaten by them? Just a couple thoughts
There's a decent about of algae in there right now on the plants (brown kind of hairy). The one that I can see is eating on the bottom of the tank where they both were yesterday. The water level is about an inch under the cover, but there is about a half inch between the cover and the tank walls that he could have jumped out of? I have two dogs and one of them could have eaten it but my door has been closed so it would have had to crawl under the door in order to get to the one who would have eaten it. My other dog definitely would have woken me up if he had noticed it out of the tank because he likes to play with 'treats' and run around with them..
 

wateriswet

Member
Check in your filter and on the floor around the tank. I did not have the best of luck with amanos if you couldn't tell, ha.
 
  • Thread Starter

Rachaeljuno

Member
I have a sponge filter so they can’t get in there. I checked around the tank but I can’t look too thoroughly bc I can’t move anything . Hopefully he’s just hiding
Soo update I’m still looking for him, haven’t found him. But I did notice these, kinda looks like a little sac of eggs to me but I have no idea what it is.
 
  • Thread Starter

Rachaeljuno

Member
I still haven't seen the little guy I think he probably found a way to escape.
I'm thinking though of getting another amano since now there's just one. I might get some cherry shrimp too, what do you guys think I should do?
 

Kribensis27

Member
Rachaeljuno said:
But I did notice these, kinda looks like a little sac of eggs to me but I have no idea what it is.
Those are snail eggs. They could belong to ramshorn, pond, or bladder snails.
Rachaeljuno said:
I still haven't seen the little guy I think he probably found a way to escape.
I'm thinking though of getting another amano since now there's just one. I might get some cherry shrimp too, what do you guys think I should do?
He absolutely could’ve, but he might still be there. Mine disappear for days at a time sometimes.
 
  • Thread Starter

Rachaeljuno

Member
Kribensis27 said:
Those are snail eggs. They could belong to ramshorn, pond, or bladder snails.

He absolutely could’ve, but he might still be there. Mine disappear for days at a time sometimes.
I did notice a baby snail (about the size of a sesame seed) about a week ago, but didn't notice those eggs till a few days ago.

Even though there's a lot of plants and a piece of spiderwood, I feel like I can still pretty well see any possible hiding places, but yeah I'm hoping he just outsmarted me and found the best hiding place possible
 

StarGirl

Member
They are crazy good hiders, and I agree on the snail eggs.
 
  • Thread Starter

Rachaeljuno

Member
StarGirl said:
They are crazy good hiders, and I agree on the snail eggs.
I'm really hoping that he's just hiding.. but I'm losing hope :/ I know though that my betta didn't eat him because his belly is still a normal size, and he's still eating normally (he wouldn't eat his food if he would have eaten the amano, he refuses or spits out food once he's full lol). I lowered the water line to about an 1.5 inches below the lid, but the heater cord and sponge filter airline tubing lead out of the tank, and between the lid and the tank walls there's about a half inch of space, but I'm not sure that they can climb the walls once they're out of water, and I don't know if they can jump that high.
 

StarGirl

Member
Rachaeljuno said:
I'm really hoping that he's just hiding.. but I'm losing hope :/ I know though that my betta didn't eat him because his belly is still a normal size, and he's still eating normally (he wouldn't eat his food if he would have eaten the amano, he refuses or spits out food once he's full lol). I lowered the water line to about an 1.5 inches below the lid, but the heater cord and sponge filter airline tubing lead out of the tank, and between the lid and the tank walls there's about a half inch of space, but I'm not sure that they can climb the walls once they're out of water, and I don't know if they can jump that high.
Well Im jealous of your Stops eating Betta. Mine would eat the Amano and still come up for her food. :confused:
Im really not sure how high they can jump out of water. They can move crazy fast in the water. They like teleport....lol I hope hes just hiding too.
 
  • Thread Starter

Rachaeljuno

Member
StarGirl said:
Well Im jealous of your Stops eating Betta. Mine would eat the Amano and still come up for her food. :confused:
Im really not sure how high they can jump out of water. They can move crazy fast in the water. They like teleport....lol I hope hes just hiding too.
Yeah, i'm glad he stops eating when he's full too lol It's very helpful so I don't overfeed him, but I have to feed him one pellet at a time because once it drops below him in his mind it was never there lol, if it's not right in front of his face he won't notice it. My other betta is completely the opposite, he eats every single pellet within like 5 seconds and will just keep eating and eating lol so I have to be careful with him. But yeah the shrimp are SO FAST in the water, if the betta accidentally bumps into it he like jumps but so fast i can't even see him moving, he's just in one place and then another lol just like you said, they teleport.
Okay update! I saw from across a white sort of thing floating around in the tank, I walked over and it’s an exoskeleton! Which gives me hope that the little guy is still in there, just really good at hiding. I still haven’t seen him, but I’m pretty sure it belongs to the guy who’s been MIA since they do hide when they’re molting and the other one has been out in the open the whole time. How long will it be before he comes out from hiding?? Here’s a picture of the exoskeleton:
 
  • Thread Starter

Rachaeljuno

Member
Okay so now both of the shrimp are MIA. I still haven't seen the one that was missing, and starting on Friday I haven't seen the other one either. (???) Unless the come out at night I have no idea where they are.
 

wateriswet

Member
Next water change, look around really carefully. Pick up decor, go through plant leaves. I started with 9 and am down to 4 between a fish eating 2 before I moved him to another tank and finding another 3 dried out on the floor and behind the tank. It looks like mine crawled up the cord for my heater. I hope you have better luck and they're just hiding! I usually only see my remaining ones when I'm siphoning and disturbing their hiding places.
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom