I Can't Find Anything!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Sunni Dee, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Sunni Dee

Sunni Dee New Member Member

My girlfriends came to me today and told me that it seemed like her betta was dying. I've been monitoring her and she'll pretty much stay in her little house for the most part. I've looked up numerous things and I can't find anything. One thing I'm also curious about is the black in between her scales. She isn't the first betta that my girlfriend has owned that had the black. (The pink one was a while back but she has the red one now) [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

What size is the tank?
    What are the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
    What is the temperature of the tank? Is it heated?
    Is your tank filtered? Is it cycled?
    What is your water change schedule?
    Are there any other tank mates?

3. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

Yikes! hate to be the bearer of bad news but this fish looks like it has tuberculosis there is no chre for it sadly. The fish is bent in almost an S shape, this is a clear indicator of the disease. It also looks quite thin.

4. OP
    OP
    Sunni Dee

She shares a 5.5 gal with a male and some ghost shrimp. There's a divider and they absolutely can't get to one another. I'm not sure what the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels are (I don't have a kit). There's a heater so it stays at about 76 degrees. It is filtered. I do a 25% water change once a week.

5. B

Try doing another water change; usually that's a good first course of action for a lethargic fish. I'd try to do a 50% water change weekly if possible, or two 25% water changes weekly.

6. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

The black spots your seeing are caused when the scales of the fish start bowing out, your seeing the color of skin. It's likely a sign of dropsy. You can get some medication for this but the problem you'll have is the ghost shrimp that it rooms with. Fish medicine are tough on other fish so you have to think about what you want to do, meaning are you ready to part ways with the fish.

7. B

I really don't think that this fish has dropsy; I believe it's just the betta's pattern. They call the pattern of black around the scales 'pineapple', if I'm not mistaken.

8. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You certainly could be right, though I don't think he should ignore it. Perhaps the OP should tell us what color poop it has and it might help.

9. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

The fish may have tuberculosis but I think you are jumping too fast on it. Deformed fish dont necessarily mean tuberculosis.

10. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

Yes but the fish looks rather ill, I think it's safe to say that it has, well... something

11. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

It looks like the scales are pine coning to me...I'd rule out dropsy before going to fish tb...but it is possible.

12. APierce

@Sunni Dee has the fish always had discoloration on the head? Is there any kind of fluffy stuff or is that just the lighting?

13. B

OP, are the pictures you took of two separate fish or of the same one?

14. BeanFish

Water change, water change, water change.
    When diagnosing a fish it is all a process of elimination. We are going to eliminate bad water quality causing the problems by doing a water change. If that does not work we will keep eliminating stuff like internal parasites, constipation etc...
    The fish looks fine in all the photos but the last one, the deformity worries me but not so much as the scales and the bloat.
    What are you feeding the fish? Was it deformed since day 1? Is it bloated?

15. BeanFish

Haha, yeah, he must have something.

16. OP
    OP
    Sunni Dee

She hasn't. The discoloration on her head started about a month ago. There's no fluff, and it isn't the lighting. That's really what she looks like.

17. OP
    OP
    Sunni Dee

The photos of the red one is the same fish. It's the one that she has now. The one pic of the pink betta was only to ask about the black color under the scales (since both bettas had it)

18. APierce

I would treat her with some Kanaplex. I'm not sure if it will affect ghost shrimp or not, you might want to take them out for the treatment period. If this has been going on for a month, it might not help, but it is a start.

19. B

Okay, so the red one is the one she currently has and all of the pictures except the one on the bottom are of the current betta, correct? If so, I wouldn't worry about the black scales at all. Try a water change and see if she perks up.

20. OP
    OP
    Sunni Dee

There are photos of two different fish. A red female and a pink female. The pink female has since passed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice