2 Gallon Tank I cant figure out why I'm losing cherry shrimp.

At the start of the year I set up a 2.6 gallon Fluval spec with the intentions of making a nano shrimp tank. Unfortunately, things have not gone to plan.

I planted and cycled it for about six weeks before adding my first inhabitant, a thorn nerite snail, the snail was doing well (and still is) so about a week later I purchased five cherry shrimp, drip acclimated them, and added them to the tank. All was well until 3-4 days later, I noticed a dead shrimp in my carpeting plant. It looked like it had been there a little while, and I assumed it had died yesterday or the day before that. Since I had just added them to the tank I thought it was shock/stress from it's new environment, and didn't think too much about following that.

Another week passed, and the tank was looking a little empty (there's lots of hiding and cover) and I only saw maybe one shrimp at a time if even that. So that weekend, I went out bought two more cherry shrimp. I acclimated them, added them to the tank, and it seemed fine. But then, 5 days later, I found 2 more shrimp dead in the front of the tank. I got them out, and after making sure the water parameters were fine, I figured that it must have been the two I had recently added.

But then, another few days pass and I find another dead shrimp, I tested the water, and it was fine. Then, I did some more reading on why my shrimp could be dying but couldn't find anything that fit my tank. So, my next theory was that they weren't getting enough food. It was still a pretty new tank, the only visible algae I got was some hair algae on my java moss, and I discovered that neocaridina shrimp don't eat that. So, I started adding a tiny bit of Fluval bug bites to the tank and a tiny bit of leftover frozen brine shrimp from when I fed it to my other tank.

Fast forward a few days, I'm down another two shrimp. At this point I only have one left and I'm not sure what's wrong. At the moment the last shrimp seems to be behaving weirdly active, crawling across the driftwood and bottom of the tank. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it physically, or any signs of disease, so I'm kind of just lost at what to do.

Everything else is in the tank is really healthy, the plants are thriving for the most part, and my red root floaters are even flowering. I don't think the culprit is copper because the two snails are still thriving (thorn nerite snail and pink Ramshorn introduced on live plant). Thanks in advance for any advice.

Info about the tank:
Planted
Fluval Stratum Substrate
Included Activated Carbon Pouch is still in filter (I'm yet to remove it)

Water Parameters from today:
Temp: 76 degrees F
PH: 7-7.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-5
GH: 6-7
KH: 4-5

Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate have always been about 0
GH and KH raised about one degree each after the tank cycled.

richiep

Fishlore Legend
Croeso welcome to fishlore
Looking at those parameters theres nothing wrong there.
What method of acclamation did you do?
And do do have any closeup picture of live or dead shrimp and some of your tank

ProudPapa

Fishlore VIP
I've struggled getting shrimp to thrive in new tanks, and six weeks may not be long enough to build up enough biofilm for them to graze on. Many experienced shrimp keepers recommend letting a tank run for a minimum of three months before introducing shrimp.

Croeso welcome to fishlore
Looking at those parameters theres nothing wrong there.
What method of acclamation did you do?
And do do have any closeup picture of live or dead shrimp and some of your tank
Thank you :)

I drip acclimated them for about an hour, this was my first time ever using that method though.
Unfortunately no images of dead shrimp, but here's one of the last live shrimp. Sorry that its a little blurry, yesterday he was running all around the tank some reason and I couldn't get a clean picture, and now today he's hiding and I can't get a good pic.

1649438515227.png
I've struggled getting shrimp to thrive in new tanks, and six weeks may not be long enough to build up enough biofilm for them to graze on. Many experienced shrimp keepers recommend letting a tank run for a minimum of three months before introducing shrimp.
Thanks, I'll wait a little bit before adding more shrimp, in the mean time I'll keep trying to make sure the last one eats. Would reducing floaters on the surface to let more light in to the tank help develop algae for the shrimp to feed on?

richiep

Fishlore Legend
Thats a female and its possible she molted and bred yesterday and now she's hiding.
As ProudPapa mentioned stability is very important, even more so in smaller tanks, don't change anything for now as I can't see any sign of disease, if she is berried the next time you see her your on your way I hope, if you see any more dead take a photo of them in the tank, hopefully its just a minor glitch
One other thing how do you do your water changes

sunflower430

Just an off the wall question, are you sure you are fishing out dead shrimp and it is not that they are hiding and you are seeing molts instead?

Thats a female and its possible she molted and bred yesterday and now she's hiding.
As ProudPapa mentioned stability is very important, even more so in smaller tanks, don't change anything for now as I can't see any sign of disease, if she is berried the next time you see her your on your way I hope, if you see any more dead take a photo of them in the tank, hopefully its just a minor glitch
One other thing how do you do your water changes
To be honest I doubt she's berried, the only way that could be possible is if she bred with a shrimp that died yesterday, as I believe she's the only remaining shrimp in the tank.

Since I know shrimp produce a pretty small amount of waste and don't like changes in water, I just replace maybe one glass of water every 2 weeks, and I top it off with less than that every weekend.
Just an off the wall question, are you sure you are fishing out dead shrimp and it is not that they are hiding and you are seeing molts instead?
Yeah, I'm sure they are dead shrimp.

Cherryshrimp420

Well Known
Where are you buying the shrimps from? You are using active substrate which lowers pH. If they came from a higher pH then they will not do well in your tank

Blacksheep1

Well Known
Hello, welcome to the forum !

In my very humble opinion , the lack of water changes and food is the culprit. The fresh water adds all sorts of minerals that help the shrimp and the newish tank didn’t provide enough food. Your added food is protein rich but not calcium rich.
Your water is good , your acclimation sounds good too but I think maybe husbandry needs tweaking.

I do hope you try again as shrimp are awesome little guys :)

Where are you buying the shrimps from? You are using active substrate which lowers pH. If they came from a higher pH then they will not do well in your tank
I really haven't noticed a change in pH from the substrate, I'm not sure what the pH at my LFS is, but I'll ask next time I go.
Hello, welcome to the forum !

In my very humble opinion , the lack of water changes and food is the culprit. The fresh water adds all sorts of minerals that help the shrimp and the newish tank didn’t provide enough food. Your added food is protein rich but not calcium rich.
Your water is good , your acclimation sounds good too but I think maybe husbandry needs tweaking.

I do hope you try again as shrimp are awesome little guys :)
How much water do you recommend changing?

Blacksheep1

Well Known
15% a week is the norm. You’re replacing valuable minerals that aren’t normally tested for and removing any build ups that can occur. I hope your remaining shrimp does well and it would be amazing if she was berried !

richiep

Fishlore Legend
Reading your reply on water changes I con only back up Blacksheep1 reply you need at least 10 to 15% water change weekly

15% a week is the norm. You’re replacing valuable minerals that aren’t normally tested for and removing any build ups that can occur. I hope your remaining shrimp does well and it would be amazing if she was berried !
Reading your reply on water changes I con only back up Blacksheep1 reply you need at least 10 to 15% water change weekly
Alright, thank you all for being so helpful, I will start replacing 15% weekly.

Other than that, how long do you recommend waiting before adding more shrimp?

richiep

Fishlore Legend
Personally I would do a 50% water change to get that going then reduce next week, check your ph then add ½dozen and see how they go, drip them as you did and make sure the water change temperature is as close as possible to the tank

Blacksheep1

Well Known
Everything I know about shrimp has come from RichieP so what he says !!! :)

Ok so I'm a little more nervous now.

The Amano shrimp in my 20 gallon has died.
It's been thriving in that tank for more than six months. Is this some crazy coincidence or do you guys think something appeared in my tap water that I should worry about? Please note that it was already quite large when I bought it. Is it possible it was already rather old, and could have died of natural causes?

Trekker1125

do you guys think something appeared in my tap water that I should worry about?
Have you tested your tap to see if it is different?

Blacksheep1

Well Known
You could switch to ro water if you’re worried about your tap. Did you take any pictures of the little guy?

Sorry for bringing this back up, but I seem to have encountered another issue. I have 2 new pests not previously seen. While in the substrate I had plenty of normal detritus worms, today I noticed some more things.

I found several of strange oval worm creatures under the substrate, as well as dozens of little tiny circular things on the glass.

1649641896587.png
1649641905929.png
1649641913964.png

At first glance I thought the oval worm things were Planaria, which could have been a culprit of my shrimps death, but on closer inspection it doesn't seem to have the length or triangular head shape that I usually see in images of Planaria. Finally, sorry for the poor 3rd picture, I couldn't get a focus on them, but a bit to the right near the center has the second things I need help identifying.

Since I haven't seen any of these before, and now there is a ton, I'm wondering if it has anything to do with where the remaining shrimp is, I haven't been able to find it today and I'm wondering if it has died somewhere in the tank, causing an influx in creatures like this.

Most interesting part was probably the fact that the oval like creatures were chasing and hunting the detritus worms in the substrate.

Anyways, thank you all for helping me recently!

Shrimpee

about the worms. add some fish like mosqito rasboras or pygmi corys. they will take care of mosqito larvass..worms that will appear in tanks. my shrimp tanks used to have lots of detritus worms. after adding fish they are hardly any.

about water, TDS is one you should monitor as 2.6G is a very small tank. mine is 4G and TDS goes from 130 to 180 in about a week. a 20% water change with distilled water brings it down to 130ish again.
my shrimp tank became stable after i started checking TDS and keeping it under 180. previously i change 10% water weekly with overnight tape water and after about 4 months...the 1st time i measure TDS it was 600+. i couldnt believe it since i changed 10% water weekly. now i only use distilled water and have not measure any other parameters but TDS daily. cos the last few times i measured PH KH GH hardly changed. is the TDS. e.g. once i changed a shrimp food. and over night the TDS went from 140 to 160. i then stop feeding that food and gave them to my fish instead. you might want to look into TDS. its more important than the others.

Similar Aquarium Threads

2 3
Replies
Views
New fishes
Replies
Views
Sofiafish17
M
Replies
Views
RelaxingBettas