I Can't Believe I Bought A Betta...

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Ziggi, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Ziggi

ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

I dood a bad ting ...

Mother and I separated while running errands, she went to the grocery store while I went to PetSmart to look at the Ram stock, ask a question (the person I wanted wasn't there though) and ... something else... OH, buy a new breeder net since mine grew legs. I'm sure you see the problem already... me unsupervised in a petstore .... Anywho.

Somehow, I started my routine of look at all fish, then look at plants, go back to fish, head to filters, back to plants, pass by Bettas with someone blocking me. Next think I know I have dwarf hairgrass in my hand, but the line was long so I put it back, and looked at the Bettas. Two more passes and I'm in line with dwarf hair grass, a veggie clip and a Halfmoon Betta :) I was debating long and hard (probably looked like a psycho) between the one I got, a coral one very similar, and a white one ... If the coral one is there tomorrow there's no promise being made that I wont take him home :p

So, I need a name, and coloring cause I'm just calling him black ... with some red ... and shiney ...

2013-01-05 15.02.46.jpg2013-01-05 15.03.07.jpg
    2013-01-05 15.04.36a.jpg

and no ... I never got my breeder net, so yes I'm going back tomorrow... *sigh* unsupervised again ... oy vey! I'm so weak!

2. Tigress Hill

Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

Wait, so you got two? Or is one the betta that may also be taken home?;D

I did a bad ting as well. I bought a breeding pair of magenta bettas and a beautiful black halfmoon plakat (my dad's "late Christmas present":;nin2). Three bettas in one day and ~$100 outta the bank account.

3. Meeps83

Meeps83Well Known MemberMember

I love the color. In the pic at the bottom it looks purple to me. Very pretty!

4. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Hello Ziggi welcome to the wonderful world of bettas :) they're addictive lol and beautiful boy you have there :)

Batman you know the rules new bettas lots of pictures lol :D

5. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

ohhh trust me ..i do it all the time. When im at the fish store,i almost always end up going home with 1 fish =/...

6. OP
    OP
    Ziggi

I got one (the one in the pictures... same fish, different angle and apparently lighting as well) :) but there's a coral one that looks almost identical (fuller finnage I suppose) that I shoulda put my name on! :( if he's there tomorrow, he's mine! and then I'm done! Is he a dragonscale? it's not labeled, but I thought the bright shiny body scales meant dragon (I.... dont know much about Bettas, save they're Anabantids and a few of the tail IDs)

oooooooo pics???!? HOLY CHOCOLATE CAKE BATMAN!!! $100 for 3 bettas? :eek: that's insane! I almost felt bad paying $7 for mine. (mom was like "he was a dollar right" me - *silent*) Not that I have a problem paying for 'em ... but when someone puts that guilt trip on ya ... oy.

7. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Last time I was left on my own in an LFS I had Oliver's wallet his words were don't spend too much ;) I will admit to nothing ;) although he hasn't made the same mistake again lol

Once he has settled in and his true colours start showing through we should be able to identify him properly for you SoltarianKnight is very good at identifying betta types :)

8. fishynoob

fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

Seee I found the trick. For my birthday present I got a "free trip to the fish store without the 4year old" My partner who had no previous interest in fish found some neons he found too cute (baby ones) and there you have it 10 neons later and my partner is being brought to my world! (he even suggested getting a betta for our small tank once we have done with the quarantining. (But what happens is a fish gets sick you say... well... then I put the wheels in motion for the need of a forth tank........ always plan ahead..... teehee)

Your betta is beautiful until I came on this forum I thought you could a blue one or a red one and I wasn't interested in them at all.... now I'm secretly sizing up places to put a divided betta tank. I'm sure if my hobby progresses at the rate it has done so far by 2020 I will have more water than air inside my house!! *cue ideas for a scuba living room, or if I could heat up the garage that has a concrete floor....*

9. aquaticat

aquaticatWell Known MemberMember

Beautiful betta Ziggi!! I have an empty 3 gallon that needs a betta ;D I'm sure my next pet store trip will be similar to this... ;)

10. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Lol I tried the quarantine route but Oliver my fiancé is onto my game but I do have a 63 gallon waiting to be set up so it's not so bad ;)

11. OP
    OP
    Ziggi

Magoo, Fishynoob: I've been planning for when I move out (... in my dreams 2014-15 ... in reality with this job market... never :'( ) 1 South/Central American tank 40-75+ gal breeder or bowfront :) one 75+ gal gourami/asian tank, a 50 gal african (shell/rock dwellers),and a long tank (either 2 20L or ... something else) divided for bettas :p

THEN ... I shall be done... oh forgot the iwagumi ... well I'll merge that in with the bettas :D oh to dream!

Aquaticat: a.) I love your avatar thingy! hilarious! b.) yeah ... USUALLY I'm good. I'd set up my last 10 gal but I'm sure I'd get that look from mom (Thank God I'm too old for grounding... but the look works pretty well on my guilty conscience) I mean ... I've lasted since '07! passing those googly eyes ... once again they didn't have what I wanted, so I got something else :p I sooooo baaaaad!

12. tress29

tress29Valued MemberMember

I was surprised when my son bought his last betta, elephant ears are $20! Yikes, glad it wasn't my money...

13. OP
    OP
    Ziggi

More pics! He's in his tank now, and I think he likes the camera :p

He kinda changes color though, one moment he looks black and silver, then super dark blue, then purple ... of course this could be alot of things... including the lighting I have on this tank. He definitely does not know what to do with so much space though!

DSC00668.JPGDSC00671.JPGDSC00673.JPGDSC00675.JPGDSC00677.JPGDSC00678.JPG

I'll get some more pics up tomorrow. :)

14. Tonia

ToniaWell Known MemberMember

He's so unique and beautiful!!! Can't wait to see him in his new home, Ziggi!!

Oh wow!!!! he is awesome in the new home!!! Love the color!!!

I'm so glad he's having fun in his new home and I'm sure he'll reward you well for giving him a nice new place to live!

15. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Wow...I didn't know they came in that color. Looks stunning.

16. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

As soon as we move into a bigger house currently have a one bedroom smallish flat I have been promised a fish room as long as Oliver gets his mancave lol and then the world is my fishtank ;)

17. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

So Batman, were those $100 all spent on the three bettas or was it the bettas and some supplies for them? Supplies can bring up the final bill fast.

18. Tigress Hill

Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

Well... yea;D
    As soon as they arrive, or do you want me to post the eBay pic?
    They were auction bettas. An hour before the end of the magenta sale the bidding price jumped from $20 to $55:eek: I continued on anyway, and honestly it STILL wasn't that bad of a deal. It came with a purebred pair of magenta halfmoon bettas, 5 indian almond leaves, two stems of hornwort, microworm culture, a sponge filter, & 20 grams of BBS eggs. I still wish it'd stayed at $20 though...

The black halfmoon plakat was $18.

19. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

You're so lucky to have won Tiggy I saw the picture of the breeding pair and they are gorgeous can't say I'm not jealous but don't tell my boys I think we should name another fish related addiction like MTS we should have MBS multiple betta syndrome lol ;)

20. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Also Ziggi please let us know if the other betta is there tomorrow and you get him :) I do wish I could have space for more betta tanks but I suppose my two monkeys keep me on my toes and ill be having angels soon too lol ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice