29 Gallon Tank I can't believe how quiet (and expesive) Eheim Air Pumps are

AndyP
I recently setup a plenum and needed an air pump to run the under-gravel filter plate. Well, I have a box FULL of air pumps, some so old, they pre-date me. I have a Metaframe Hush I and Hush 2, more Second Nature Whisper pumps than you can count, a Tetra Whisper, a Haggen Optima, a small Hartz, and a Danner Air Pump.

I hooked up the Whisper 200 and let it run. I haven't run an air pump in probably over a decade. Hearing the sound of the pump running, and the water bubbling brought back some serious memories of my childhood.

An hour later and the nostalgia was over, and the noise was getting to me. I did some Googling for the Quietest air pump and found Aquarium Co-ops video where they use a sound pressure meter and determine which of the 4 pumps they were testing is the quietest. And Cory said the Eheim was the quietest by 10 dB.

Took a drive to my LFS and bought an Eheim air100. Like most Eheim products, it's a solid piece of equipment. Nothing about it feels cheap. And it's QUIET. It's the quietest air pump I have ever heard. But at $32.99, it's probably the most expensive air pump I have ever purchased.

If you need quiet, this is the one to get. The LFS also had Oase air pumps, which were just as expensive. I'd be curious what th dB level of those pumps are.

Betta'sAnonymous
I have found Aqueon QuietFlow air pumps to be fairly quiet as well. May not be as quiet as the Eheim....but I did just order the QuietFlow 60 with 2 outlets for about $26 from amazon.

The29G
This is good to know, for now I just wrap my air pump in a towel and turn on the ceiling fan to try to drown out the sound. But now I know what to do if I ever have an extra $32.99. I hate the air pump sound.

AndyP
Betta'sAnonymous said:
I have found Aqueon QuietFlow air pumps to be fairly quiet as well. May not be as quiet as the Eheim....but I did just order the QuietFlow 60 with 2 outlets for about $26 from amazon.
The Aqueons look nice. I like how they stand on their sides.
Here's the video I was talking about, for the curious

AggressiveAquatics
I’ve used many air pumps I’ve used eheim, hygger, and aqueon quietflow and I have to say that aqueon was the quietest. And the cheapest!

StarGirl
I had a Eheim and it was ok. It stopped working in a month for me.

AndyP
AggressiveAquatics said:
I’ve used many air pumps I’ve used eheim, hygger, and aqueon quietflow and I have to say that aqueon was the quietest. And the cheapest!
Great, now I have to buy a QuietFlow to see if it's quieter than the Eheim. The store I bought it from has a HORRIBLE return policy. So, I'm stuck with this thing if the Aqueon comes out quieter. I do like the fact that the Eheim is adjustable.
StarGirl said:
I had a Eheim and it was ok. It stopped working in a month for me.
According to the box, it has a 3 year warranty. Email Eheim and get it replaced. Or buy new diaphragms for it.

Betta'sAnonymous
AndyP said:
Great, now I have to buy a QuietFlow to see if it's quieter than the Eheim. The store I bought it from has a HORRIBLE return policy. So, I'm stuck with this thing if the Aqueon comes out quieter. I do like the fact that the Eheim is adjustable.

According to the box, it has a 3 year warranty. Email Eheim and get it replaced. Or buy new diaphragms for it.
I do have a smaller quietflow running sponge filters on my 29. The only time i even notice it is when i open the stand to grab the remote for the light lol! Used to get them at Petsmart but at least here in town they don't carry them and i haven't found anywhere else so i had to order from amazon.

jmaldo
Agree, I use Tetra Whispers and found placing a rubber mate underneath helps a lot. But for my "Display" tank in the living room. I use the Eheim 400, very quiet, only way I know it is running is seeing the bubbles. It has two separate out ports and are adjustable.
Picked it up on sale but still was $25.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom