I Can’t Shop At Pet Stores Anymore... Overhearing Things

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Don’t you hate it when you accidentally over here people shopping in the fish section? I was just at Walmart the other day dropping in the fish section to grab some freeze dried shrimp when I overheard a girl talking to her mom how she wanted to get a filter for her tank cause it would make it so she never had to change any of the water ever again cause it would clean the water for her... I need to stop shopping in the fish section and just shop online so I don’t have to keep overhearing people. I feel indescribable inside, I wanted to say something so bad... but I didn’t ops:.

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
Literally me. Wonder what that girl's tank looked like before she put the filter in. You should have said something. I was at Petco the other day buying a tank and the guy at the checkout goes "yeah I have my betta tiger barb oscar tank" and I gave him a little lecture at the checkout...some people just don't know what they're doing.

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Literally me. Wonder what that girl's tank looked like before she put the filter in. You should have said something. I was at Petco the other day buying a tank and the guy at the checkout goes "yeah I have my betta tiger barb oscar tank" and I gave him a little lecture at the checkout...some people just don't know what they're doing.
I would have, but my parents where there and they where in a hurry (we where just picking up a few things). The people probably wouldn’t have believed me anyway because the information would be coming from a random 13 year old in the Walmart fish isle.

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
Lol, probably true. I'm 14 and I could tell the guy was giving me the "shut up small child, I'm in college and have a job here" look.
Me:
doesn't matter idiot. You still don't put oscars with anything that isn't at least six inches long, and tigers and traily stuff don't mix! Come on! How basic is that! It's probably a 10g tbh...

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lol, probably true. I'm 14 and I could tell the guy was giving me the "shut up small child, I'm in college and have a job here" look.
Me:
doesn't matter idiot. You still don't put oscars with anything that isn't at least six inches long, and tigers and traily stuff don't mix! Come on! How basic is that! It's probably a 10g tbh...
Probably.

What I wonder is who in the world thought that a carp was the perfect fish to put in a bowl?!?!?!? I have explained the science of how it is literally and scientifically impossible to have a decently healthy and happy goldfish in a bowl like 5 times and my brother still doesn’t believe me. He’s very words when I hold him how stunting alone will shorten its life to less then 2 years (not even counting ammonia burning and a slow miserable death from toxins in the water) when healthy goldfish usually live for around 10 years. His very words “well, most people don’t really want to have a goldfish that long anyway.” My head just about exploded when he said that.

Last edited:

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
And that is why Albert Einstein said "two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity." Also tbh a goldfish in a bowl looks great, it's just miserable. The size they sell in pet stores is perfect to fit in a bowl (although I have recently seen tiny betta bowls at Petsmart that are like two inches long-I get bettas are different but still) and honestly, chain pet store staff are miserably undereducated/incredibly willfully ignorant. On the bright side I think it's just the chains now that do that...my LFS sells feeder carp and that's it, yay! Tell your brother literally the entire fish keeping community (not the wall ornament community, they're a different story and we do not like them) says otherwise. And if you don't want the animal to stick around, why buy it?

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
And that is why Albert Einstein said "two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity." Also tbh a goldfish in a bowl looks great, it's just miserable. The size they sell in pet stores is perfect to fit in a bowl (although I have recently seen tiny betta bowls at Petsmart that are like two inches long-I get bettas are different but still) and honestly, chain pet store staff are miserably undereducated/incredibly willfully ignorant. On the bright side I think it's just the chains now that do that...my LFS sells feeder carp and that's it, yay! Tell your brother literally the entire fish keeping community (not the wall ornament community, they're a different story and we do not like them) says otherwise. And if you don't want the animal to stick around, why buy it?
I did, but he is still stuck in his own ways, so I just told him that he should never get fish because he refuses to learn how to care for them properly.
I have my betta with a 10 gallon all to himself and he loves it and happily patrols every inch of it, but the same brother says that I’m spoiling him and he would be fine in a 1 gallon,ops: that one just made me very sad, I almost cried trying to imagine my young, growing and very active betta plopped in a 1 gallon, he would be so sad a miserable, it’s an unbearable thought. He shouldn’t tell me how to care for my fish.

Last edited:

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
I honestly feel like bettas and gouramis are slightly different because of their habitat #unpopularopinion on here, I know, but come on. They live in freaking rice paddies in China. That is not clean, nor large, nor anything you want a tank to be. I understand that you want to give what's best for the fish, so on and so forth, but I honestly feel like bettas can be kept in small tanks. Goldfish are different. Honestly, I wouldn't keep a gourami in a small tank because they get so big...but bettas are different. That's just me, happy for your betta, mine is quite happy in a .8 gallon kit. (at least it's not my sister's. She didn't tell me she'd been putting in like a handful of food a day, so she brings it to the downstairs bathroom so I can do a water change and the water is green. And stinks. I'm thinking, "well, you may have made it a natural habitat, but that's not going back to your room like that. Hopefully she doesn't put so much food in in future).
Feel free to light into me about my betta...I know someone will, but honestly he's really happy. He's more active in that .8 gallon then my fire mouths are in my 75.

And please note, Bettas are the only species I'd keep in anything smaller then a 10g, and that's because of their special adaptations. I will not put anything else in that tank unless it's a tiny crayfish or something. And that I will do extensive research on first.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's a problem for me too, I hear a customer or employee say inch per gallon and I just sink inside knowing that something is gonna go wrong in the near future.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom