I Can’t Seem To Figure Out How To Read My Water Test Results

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Samanu, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Samanu

SamanuNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey first time poster here I’m showing my results from my master test kit I just wanted some insight to my results. I don’t understand how I have an ammonia reading no nitrite and 5ppm nitrate

Attached Files:

2. Mrfister1116

Mrfister1116Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +32
    Is it a new tank or have you made any changes to the filtration? Looks like it’s still cycling spikes can happen then.

3. SaltyPhone

SaltyPhoneWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +359
    Experience:
    1 year
    Welcome to the forum! Looks like ya got ~.5ppm ammonia and 0 on nitrite and Nitrates.

4. jamesw6810

jamesw6810Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +40
    Have you used a bacteria supplement - Safe start etc..?

If so, sometimes you miss the nitrite spike as the bacteria that converts it is in abundance in these bacterial additives and you see a nitrate spike first

If not test your source water for nitrates, could be that the 5ppm that your seeing is from your source water and your at the start of the cycle.

Either way, you may miss the nitrite spike

Let it run for a few more days and measure ammonia, if it’s decreasing and nitrates increasing then your on the way!

Best way to test shorter term is ignore the nitrate and concentrate on ammonia, that logically has to reduce to produce the other 2 bacteria - when ammonia drops from 0.5ppm to 0.25 then test for nitrite/nitrate. Stops some frustration and wasted tests

Out of interest, what did you dose ammonia to when you started and with what, and how long ago